SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Oct 7 - good night for uranian moons

Demonperformer

For my own interest, I produced a spreadsheet showing the distance of each of the five biggest moons of Uranus at midnight (actually, for logistical reasons, 1 second before midnight - but close enough) during Sept/Oct. These figures were taken from CdC, set to a location of southern England.

From this data, I present an unusually good opportunity to capture these moons tonight. In what follows, "max" refers to the maximum figures obtained during the period studied - not the absolute theoretical maximum.

* Miranda: 9.2" (max 9.4)

* Ariel: 13.7" (max 13.8)

* Umbriel: 18.5" (max 19.4)

* Titania: 31.1" (max 31.7)

* Oberon: 39.9" (max 42.2)

This makes the total for the three inner moons 41.4 (there is one occasion when these total 41.5) and the total for all 5 is 112.4, which is the greatest value for the period covered. [The theoretical maxima for these two figures, based on individual distances, are 42.6 & 116.6 respectively].

Of course, tonight's predicted cloud-cover could make it a slightly less than "good" opportunity ;).

Archived