SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL XI BOOKINGS OPEN MONDAY 12th OCTOBER - 7pm

daz

Hi all

You will see a banner at the top of the site announcing the bookings open at 7pm on Monday 12th October

The bookings will be done via FLO as before, and we will post the link IN THIS THREAD in advance of the time.

Please take a moment to read the information (ALL the information) in the links.

Am excited already :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha, I came to the forum and learned that I'll need to start saving for my scopes/mounts/CCDs and now I realised I might as well start saving for a caraven!

That might be a step too big for me  :grin:

Anyway, very tempted to go, but I have never been to a SGL party before and more importantly, I've never camped before!!! (well not exactly accurate, had a pop-up tent and a sleeping bag once for a meteor shower in August...)

Do I still stand a chance? 

Aha, I came to the forum and learned that I'll need to start saving for my scopes/mounts/CCDs and now I realised I might as well start saving for a caraven!

That might be a step too big for me :grin:

Anyway, very tempted to go, but I have never been to a SGL party before and more importantly, I've never camped before!!! (well not exactly accurate, had a pop-up tent and a sleeping bag once for a meteor shower in August...)

Do I still stand a chance?

I would absolutely encourage you to come along, but don't turn up with a pop up tent! Not because of any camping snobbery but because it can get pretty chilly at night, it's been known to snow etc so come prepared if you are camping.

Last year was amazing, 4 clear nights out of 4. Can't hope for that again, but fingers crossed.

Hi,

I agree with Stuart, a pop up tent may not be a great idea for camping in March, preferable is a tent that you can stand up in... ( there are threads on this website that deal with camping, definitely worth a look at....)

Secondly, we will watch you put the tent up and mark you out of 10... if you have Java Cakes then we will help erect the tent and you will get 10 out of 10!!!

On the equipment front, don't spend a fortune on gear.

Use the star party as a massive astro shop, there will be loads of gear on display and you only have to ask the owners if they are happy to show you their gear and let you use it.

There will be loads of advise readily available and you will be able to draw up a shopping list with a good knowledge of what is available and an idea of the costs.

As lots of people arrive on a Friday afternoon, arriving on a Wednesday or a Thursday for your first star party is preferable, it will be easier to get help with your tent and make a few friends in the process.

The essentials are a red-light torch and Jaffa Cakes...

Hope to see you there........

Cheers

Adrian

I would absolutely encourage you to come along, but don't turn up with a pop up tent! Not because of any camping snobbery but because it can get pretty chilly at night, it's been known to snow etc so come prepared if you are camping.

Last year was amazing, 4 clear nights out of 4. Can't hope for that again, but fingers crossed.

Snow in March?? When my colleagues told me they used to camp in snow in Feb I though they were unlucky....

Hopefully a 4 season sleepbag would keep me warm!

Fingers crossed for clear skies!!

Hi,

I agree with Stuart, a pop up tent may not be a great idea for camping in March, preferable is a tent that you can stand up in... ( there are threads on this website that deal with camping, definitely worth a look at....)

Secondly, we will watch you put the tent up and mark you out of 10... if you have Java Cakes then we will help erect the tent and you will get 10 out of 10!!!

On the equipment front, don't spend a fortune on gear.

Use the star party as a massive astro shop, there will be loads of gear on display and you only have to ask the owners if they are happy to show you their gear and let you use it.

There will be loads of advise readily available and you will be able to draw up a shopping list with a good knowledge of what is available and an idea of the costs.

As lots of people arrive on a Friday afternoon, arriving on a Wednesday or a Thursday for your first star party is preferable, it will be easier to get help with your tent and make a few friends in the process.

The essentials are a red-light torch and Jaffa Cakes...

Hope to see you there........

Cheers

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for the encouragement and the tips :)

I'm definately considering going, and spent last night browsing gooutdoors website for camping equipment. 

I do have a airbed, so I figured I'll need a tent, a sleeping bag, a mains power unit, a heater, and a kettle/gas cooker. 

I will most likely arrive before Friday lunch time (taking Friday off work, and drive from Bristol in the morning) so hopefully will still be able to find someone to bribe with my Java Cakes :)

One question: does everyone come with family? Is it unusual for someone to turn up just on her own? I'm wondering whether I'd be able to walk around or I'll have to guard my own tent all the time  :grin:

Snow in March?? When my colleagues told me they used to camp in snow in Feb I though they were unlucky....

Hopefully a 4 season sleepbag would keep me warm!

Fingers crossed for clear skies!!

Yes, it does happen! I wasn't there but I think it snowed at SGL8 although all the pictures just look wet!

It does get blooming cold though:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/63979-SGL5---Aka-shiverfest-%3A-%29

Yes, it does happen! I wasn't there but I think it snowed at SGL8 although all the pictures just look wet!

It does get blooming cold though:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/63979-SGL5---Aka-shiverfest-%3A-%29

Ah, 2010! I remember that year and it was a really cold winter. 

I was back in Nottingham then in a house with storage heating - had to use a heater AND a electric blanket AND a cat to stay just warm enough at night. 

So what would be a recommended hydrostatic head number for a tent to stand a cold/stormy/freezing weather? 

Mia

Think it was SG8, it was that cold all the tents were covered in frost one morning - lots of white humps :)

It's always worth booking a pitch with power and bringing a 2KW fan heater with you.  I was almost fully dressed, inside some high value tog rated sleeping bag rated at -20 or somethjng silly, with a hot water bottle and had to run the heater in the tent at 4am to stop my nose from dropping off !! - conversly, in the daytime you can be walking round in Tee shirts and shorts if the sun is out !

Hi Mia,

Cold, what cold?

I arrived on Tuesday just after lunch in my usual dress style, shorts.... as I was putting my 4-man tent up in the snow by myself, my friend Kev was sitting in his tent watching. Once the tent was up and the snow had stopped, he was honourable, he came over and welcomed me to the site!!

I had to change out of my shorts at 18:50 as the temperature dropped to -9F.....

On bedding, I use a camping bed that is off the ground. I put a Thermorest, plus a foam camping mat on top, then I put a double size woollen blanket on the lot, ensuring that the blanket covers the sides of the bed. Finally, I put my rucksack and other gear under the bed to fill the gap, this means that there is quite a bit of installation between me and the cold ground. Oh.... A good quality sleeping bag, I use a down filled bag which can keep you warm fully clothed down to -32F.

I would not recommend an air bed as they conduct the cold from the ground.

An electric pitch does offer you the chance to use a fan heater. Under no circumstances should you use a gas appliance to keep you warm.

If you like, you can pm me for a discussion on tents, quality, can you erect it yourself and price are the main issues to consider.

Incidentally, when you leave your tent, your neighbours will keep an eye on it for you. There is always somebody around.

A number of us (including Kev...) have breakfast together at the site cafe. The food is of good quality and plenty of it.

It is easy to make friends there as most have a good sense of humour......

Trust the above s of some help.

Cheers

Adrian

PS forgot to mention, yes families do attend.....

Hi Mia,

Cold, what cold?

I arrived on Tuesday just after lunch in my usual dress style, shorts.... as I was putting my 4-man tent up in the snow by myself, my friend Kev was sitting in his tent watching. Once the tent was up and the snow had stopped, he was honourable, he came over and welcomed me to the site!!

I had to change out of my shorts at 18:50 as the temperature dropped to -9F.....

On bedding, I use a camping bed that is off the ground. I put a Thermorest, plus a foam camping mat on top, then I put a double size woollen blanket on the lot, ensuring that the blanket covers the sides of the bed. Finally, I put my rucksack and other gear under the bed to fill the gap, this means that there is quite a bit of installation between me and the cold ground. Oh.... A good quality sleeping bag, I use a down filled bag which can keep you warm fully clothed down to -32F.

I would not recommend an air bed as they conduct the cold from the ground.

An electric pitch does offer you the chance to use a fan heater. Under no circumstances should you use a gas appliance to keep you warm.

If you like, you can pm me for a discussion on tents, quality, can you erect it yourself and price are the main issues to consider.

Incidentally, when you leave your tent, your neighbours will keep an eye on it for you. There is always somebody around.

A number of us (including Kev...) have breakfast together at the site cafe. The food is of good quality and plenty of it.

It is easy to make friends there as most have a good sense of humour......

Trust the above s of some help.

Cheers

Adrian

PS forgot to mention, yes families do attend.....

PMed!

I start to feel sorry that I've never camped before in my entire life and it seems I've missed a lot of fun!

PMed!

I start to feel sorry that I've never camped before in my entire life and it seems I've missed a lot of fun!

Never too late to start. I camped as a child with Cubs and Scouts, with my parents on holidays in France and for the last 10 years I've taken my own children away camping in the UK for 10 days or so. It's a great way of getting away from it all and forgetting the stresses and strains of the daily grind :)

Similar to Stu, Boy Scouts, we even had a trek cart that we had to drag about 5 miles to "nearby" woods, then many years of camping with children, grandchildren,  assorted nephews and dogs, don't know about the stress, trying to keep them all amused / safe can be a bit stressful, but highly recommend it.

Too old now so bought camper van for which I was eternally grateful at SGL8  :grin:

Dave

I seem to remember last year when I packed up in the early hours & went to bed that the scope had a thick layer of ice on it, well had to make the most of those clear skies......

I'm so glad that my girlfriend talked me into shelling out to rent a motorhome for the week.  With electric hookup, I'll be toasty warm :)

(remind me to bring lots of beverage making materials.  Can see this being a popular hang out if it's freezing. :)

I'm so glad that my girlfriend talked me into shelling out to rent a motorhome for the week.  With electric hookup, I'll be toasty warm :)

(remind me to bring lots of beverage making materials.  Can see this being a popular hang out if it's freezing. :)

I'm in the same position - she wouldn't come with me without the motorhome!

Suits me though, camping in -1 or worse isn't fun.

Archived