Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you done something strange with curves Ray, there are some areas of very high contrast but the bright parts of the nebula look quite compressed. It looks like a contrast enhancement that's perhaps been pushed a bit too far

That's quite possible Martin, I used carbonis actions to bring out whát you see, i have to admit; my processing leaves something to be desired!

I did several iterations of curves whilst trying to control the histogram with respect to levels....there is quite a gap before the histogram starts..

Is it worth uploading the unprocessed file to see what can be done?

Ray

That's encouraging Martin, given as I said taken under less than ideal light conditions. That is clearly better than my last rendition!

When you say a "quick run through" does that imply that there is more to come out of the image?

I find it difficult to call a halt to stretching; not really knowing how far to go! That is the real art in this game I feel.

Ray

There is fainter stuff in there which you could pull out - at the expense of losing some contrast in the main parts of the nebula (this is an 8-bit jpg and there's no free lunch!). It's just a question of what you want it to look like, most folk just want to see the main nebula. You'll see the effect of brightening the faintest parts on images designed to pull out IFN around galaxies, the main galaxy often looks over-exposed as a result.

ChrisH

A very deserved thank you to both you Martin and Chris, this has been a really good tutoring for me; I'm very grateful.

Ray

If you can produce image data like that Ray you're well on your way to making some fantastic astro images. You just need to work on the processing to get the best out of it :-)

ChrisH

just out of interest, what image processing software do you use chaps?

I have never felt the need to run the software road, i guess its all down to experience and knowing when its at the right level!!

i have heard great reports about Pixinsight....however i have also seen some rather overblown images from it,,i guess that is why Chris asked me if i used PI...

i actually like images Plus 6.0...but i tend to use P Shop as well.

Ray

just out of interest, what image processing software do you use chaps?

I have never felt the need to run the software road, i guess its all down to experience and knowing when its at the right level!!

i have heard great reports about Pixinsight....however i have also seen some rather overblown images from it,,i guess that is why Chris asked me if i used PI...

i actually like images Plus 6.0...but i tend to use P Shop as well.

Ray

Yeah, PI in the hands of the non-expert wrecks images quicker than you can say knife. It is excellent if you can use it though. I have it for some functions which only it can do, but the bulk of my processing is done using StarTools which is an inexpensive and deceptively powerful program. It works quite differently from other programs, and is particularly effective for noise reduction. You may want to check it out (there is a fully functional trial version available).

You know, I have Images Plus myself - and if I recall it's on about 6 floppy disks ;-)  I also have an old version of PhotoShop which is still useful for adjusting brightness/contrast/colour etc., because it has gives immediate feedback on the changes you make. There are also Actions available (I have Annie's and Noel's), some can be useful but often they seem 'harsh'.

ChrisH

The boys done good! Nice processing.

I think that in the first version we had too much stretch in the middle brightnesses and the blacks were clipped.

When you use Noel's local contrast enhancement it is vital to have plenty of flat line to the left of the histo peak because the action will eat into this and you can soon be black clipped. Another way to avoid this is to run the action, set it as a layer on top and set the blend mode to Lighten. That way the enhanced contrast lightens in places but the darkening in other places is not applied to the resulting image.

Olly

Archived