Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starshoot 2 CCD with Maxlm software issue

parrigelsec

I recently bought a 10" Orion reflector and an Atlas EQ-G off of a friend. With it he included a bunch of fun stuff including an Orion deep space imager 2 CCD. I am having issues getting the CCD figured out. I plug in the 12v power supply, plug in the USB cable to my lapop, pull up the maxlm software included on the disc that came with the CCD on my windows 8 laptop and when I have everything hooked up and pull up software I only get this:

http://imgur.com/oFKTN7O

I have been looking all over online for tutorials and instructions but everything I come across starts in on things that are greyed out in the software for me. Like this site:

https://starizona.com/acb/ccd/software/maxim_camera.aspx

Can someone give me some insight as to what I need to do to get this thing going?

Might not be relevant to your current problem but I do know with Windows Xp and Vista that the Orion software was a bit buggy and you had to install the full suite of software for each USB port that the computer had, if you install the full software from disk while using a particular USB port and then plug the camera into a different port all looks ok, device manager sees the camera but the Maxim Essentials does not see the camera and shows a screen similar to the one you posted.

Also, reading the Orion instruction manual it is not clear wether the supplied software actually installs the ASCOM platform as well as the ASCOM camera drivers which seems a little odd, not certain how the ASCOM camera drivers would actually work if the ASCOM platform is not already on your computer.

If you dont have the ASCOM platform installed already, download and install ASCOM platform 6.1 SP1 from here :

http://ascom-standards.org

then try plugging the camera into a different USB port than the one you used first time and install the Maxim Essentials package again.

William.

Oddsocks,

Thanks for the instructions. Ill give that a go in a minute. I am downloading the latest ASCOM drivers now (I had an older version that came with starry night pro). 

On a side note, Ive been scouring the interwebs trying to find info on my issue and something I cam across raised a question - am I supposed to be able to feel the fan or hear the fan spin up in my CCD? The entire thing is enclosed. There is no exposed fan of any sort however I would expect that I should feel a "hum" of sorts. DOes anyone know if I should feel/hear anything coming from this device?

I got the latest ASCOM platform, uninstalled Maxlm and reinstalled. Still nothing. I have contacted Orions customer service and they have been great so far. I received another reply back from them a little bit ago to try something. When I get home I will give it a go. 

Also, I left the CCD plugged in for awhile last night while I was trying to get it working and it heated up quite a bit so I am pretty sure it is working. I think its a driver issue but Ill have to follow the instructions from Orion to determine that for sure.

After working with Orions customer service I am up and running.

For those in the future who may have a similar issue it was the device drivers. I needed the 64 bit drivers located here:

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarShoot-Deep-Space-Monochrome-Imaging-Camera-III/p/99568.uts

The link is on the right hand side. Thats what you need to get a starshoot color CCD II working on a 64 bit windows 8 laptop.

Archived