Narrowband

Do 2nd hand scopes mean bad weather?

baggywrinkle

Managed to secure an older Vixen 80mm F11 refractor on the older wooden mount from E-Bay. I am told it is in good condition but as I did not pay over the odds it was a reasonable gamble.

It is one with the older gold lable on the side, complete with 2 eps and a diagonal. Picking it up in 2 weeks as it is south of London and I am down that way heading off for a business trip.

Anyone have any experience of the older Vixens?

post-29495-0-27138200-1444031639_thumb.j

A good catch there. The achro vixens of that era have a good reputation, cant see if its 0.96" ep or 1.25", if the former change it to 1.25 and it will respond well to modern eyepieces.

Oh and if the scope is new to you then cloud penance is required

I had a 4" F13 Vixen achromat back in the mid 80s and it was superb. The only downside was a weak altaz fork that came with it.

With regard to the question about second hand scopes meaning bad weather, NO they don't. It would be silly to blame only second hand scopes, when every seasoned astronomer knows, that Any New Astro purchase (new or secondhand) means bad weather.

Mike

Archived