Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 2 hrs 29 mins ST102 & 1000D

Space Cowboy

Cheers Pete! Wishing I'd got a refractor sooner.The DOB tracking was just too unreliable. I must mention the tips and advice Freddie has been giving me some of which I'm yet to implement as I get to grips with Photoshop (CS2).

The alt/az GOTO mount needs beefing up to improve tracking and I also need to properly balance the scope as there was a lot of altitude drift on the first night.

The weight of the DSLR is an issue on this setup and I have now got the new ASI224MC for smaller DSOs.

Thanks happy cat I used DSS and CS2.

Encouragement for ST102 users everywhere.

Again credit to Freddie for showing me what the Startravel scopes can produce as I could not find many images apart from rank beginners to make a proper decision on the merits of this scope for deep sky apart from the common ethos about it's CA troubles.

These are the images that Freddie produced with his st120 scope which persuaded me to go ahead with the ST :

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/251505-st120/

That is an excellent image. I use my ST102 on the same mount as you. Never gathared as much data as you have there though. How do you position the scope when the camera is attached? IE forward or further back along the dovetail???

Thanks Bobby! Balancing the scope is something I need to address. To reach focus the focus tube needs to be almost fully out and with the DSLR attached that is a heavy lever! On the first night I mounted the scope dead centre on dovetail but experienced altitude drift for the first hour but as m31 rose higher this drift receded so I figured the camera weight lever effect was reducing as the scope became more vertical.

The 2nd night I fixed the scope further forward and alt drift was much less though tracking was more erratic!

What I need to do is slacken off the alt nut and property balanced the scope with cam attached and mark the dovetail.

In the meantime I've added more balast (see pic)post-4016-0-32249900-1444318369_thumb.jp

Archived