Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark Sites / Semi Dark Sites around Bracknell

AstroAndy

Hello all

I was wondering whether anyone knows of accessible dark sites, or even semi dark sites around (up to 2 hrs drive, if necessary) around Bracknell.

First choice would be concrete spaces, with, of course, as little as poss. LP, away from streets.

Unfortunately, imaging has taken a back seat to inheriting my 14 yr old daughter, and work commitments (I don't even want to talk of the failed session of last Fri., where my daughter prepared, we went, asked whether we can observe from a spot we found, they said yes, only to be told we can't by s/one else, after starting to set up, of course).

>> insert major gripe here  :mad:

This should be public land, or accessible anyway. A place name and/or GPS coordinates would be appreciated.

Andy

Not so sure about Leith Hill, haven't been there.

Some of the chaps in my group have been to Butser hill where Hants Astro observe. I think you need to be a member to go there though.

Hi Francis, Did you mean Frensham beyond Farnham.

AFAIK Reading astro use the cricket ground at Farley Hill, nr Riseley on the reading to Basingstoke road.

I live not far from there but have a dome. Sky mag is the range 4-4.5

2hrs is a far drive and will easily put you in range of Sixpenny Handley and the south coast or New Forest. There are lots of good sites out that way where you wont be short of a pitch. Failing that I would recommend Alton and Four Marks as the nearest majorly dark location but I can't name a specific site. Someone from Hampshire AS should be able to help there.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike - probably. I know Stuart Moore uses that site for visual observing but I didn't know its proper name just what it sounded like and hoped someone might translate!

Anywhere south of Basingstoke should be much better than Bracknell (used to live in Woodley - so Dinton Pastures was OK for something quick). Now live just off Exmoor so dark nights are 6 ish - wonderfull

Archived