SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did I take a picture of?

boxtko

It's  cloudy here for the 7th night in a row so I decided to go through some pictures I took a couple weeks ago. I stumbled on this one, but I have no idea what it is. I think I was just shooting random stars at the time, fooling around with settings. I think it was in the North/North East direction.  Anyone know what this is? Thanks.

post-47098-0-09533200-1443922695.jpg

It looks like a bright star such as Capella perhaps? Was it at the edge of the frame because it's showing lots of aberration in the form of coma I think? Also could be elongated due to tracking errors.

My moneys on it being a bright star anyway. 

It look like Venus to me (very over exposed) there seems to be a phase which would match up - was the picture taken in the early hours or the evening?  If you can give us a time (and approx place in the USA - its a big country!) that would help clear things up for you.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I'm new here and figured it was deep space.

I think a star makes sense. I think it was too early to be venus... DC area (about 39 degree lat)..im guessing around 3AM which would be too early for venus.)  Thanks, everyone.

Archived