Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photoshop batch processing

Davey-T

I've got a load of 1200X720 tiff images that I'm trying to record an action in P'Shop just open the images crop them and save them in a new folder.

To quote the manual.

"Batch file processing lets you apply an action to an entire folder of images and all you have to do is click a button, now what could be simpler than that"

Well it's driving me to drink, so far it shows the images being processed but they are saved unchanged or crops them and saves blank images or runs and I can only stop it in task manager.

Thought this would be quicker but the amount of time I've spent on it I could have cropped them all manually.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong appreciated :)

Dave

If you record an action first with the select set to a fixed size and position the action will work.  Then you should be able to batch run it.  However I think (and could be wrong!) that all the images you run in your batch must start out exactly the same size otherwise PS will get confused (it places the select box "x pixels" from each edge/corner and expects the resulting rectangle to be the prescribed size).  Don't forget to deselect (Ctrl + D) as part of your action.  Hope this helps.

Thanks all for replying, yes did end up using just six images to practice on, bit confused about recording actions as I have to browse to the folder, open the image, crop image and press return, save image to new folder, but if I enter the image folder and target folder in the batch process window do I still need to record browse  / open / save as / in the action ?

If I press return then do I need to add Ctrl+D as well ?

As far as I can see from the manual I should be able to crop the aligned 1200X720 images to something like 720X720, so only cropping the width, then use the Image Processor window in Bridge to run the Action and convert to JPEG (doesn't offer PNG for some reason) at the same time, then assemble the animation.

Did manage to make it work about midnight last night so not sure what I did  :grin:

Two other things, in the manual all the examples have a first line with a picture of a folder called "default actions" do I need this, if so where does it come from ? it also has a "history" tab at the top which I don't have ?

Dave

Default actions come with PS and should be there?  To open history click on "window" then History.  It is a very useful tool as you can go back a stage (or stages) in your workflow if you want to - either because you want to "undo" something or just for comparison with your current stage.  You can go back and forward as much and as often as you like.

Don't know why the default action isn't there , can it be set / unset somewhere ? preferences ?

The history I was talking about is not the history tab but one that appears at the top of the actions record panel.

Dave

post-21198-0-26025200-1443962939.png

Should be OK (i am on CS5 - so there may be slight differences).  All that has happened with the panel is they have dragged the History box until it located in the panel next to actions.  If you do the same and then un-tick "character" and "paragraph" in the windows drop down menu then your panel will look the same.

Should be OK (i am on CS5 - so there may be slight differences).  All that has happened with the panel is they have dragged the History box until it located in the panel next to actions.  If you do the same and then un-tick "character" and "paragraph" in the windows drop down menu then your panel will look the same.

Thanks Roger, just need to find "default actions" now, whatever they are, do I need them ?

Dave

Archived