Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Got a new grab and go

Lovely scope :smiley:

The mount is the Vixen Custom-D alt-az mount - the chinese manufacturer Synta copied it with the Skywatcher AZ-3 mount. The Japanese made Vixen Custom-D mount is better made and finished to higher tolerances than the AZ-3. The Vixen version was later supplied with alumimum tripod legs but I prefer the earlier wooden ones.

Vixen made quite a few scopes and eyepieces for Orion (USA) a few years back.

I have a catalogue showing these scopes which dates from the mid 1980's.

Lovely scope :smiley:

The mount is the Vixen Custom-D alt-az mount - the chinese manufacturer Synta copied it with the Skywatcher AZ-3 mount. The Japanese made Vixen Custom-D mount is better made and finished to higher tolerances than the AZ-3. The Vixen version was later supplied with alumimum tripod legs but I prefer the earlier wooden ones.

Vixen made quite a few scopes and eyepieces for Orion (USA) a few years back.

I have a catalogue showing these scopes which dates from the mid 1980's.

The older Vixen - Celestron stuff  from the 80's and Orion stuff from the early 90's was much better than the crappy SP clones made around 1997 from China.

I plan to get a used GP mount to use with this scope. Just not sure how i will get it mounted to the GP mount. Guess i will need some kind of dovetail to work with the GP head.  I used to have the older SP mount that had a fixed mounting plate with 2 holes, but the GP mount is not the same. Never owned a GP mount so not sure.

The older Vixen - Celestron stuff  from the 80's and Orion stuff from the early 90's was much better than the crappy SP clones made around 1997 from China.

I plan to get a used GP mount to use with this scope. Just not sure how i will get it mounted to the GP mount. Guess i will need some kind of dovetail to work with the GP head.  I used to have the older SP mount that had a fixed mounting plate with 2 holes, but the GP mount is not the same. Never owned a GP mount so not sure.

Some of the mid 1980's Celestron stuff was poor - they virtually stopped all quality control in the run up to the return of Halleys Comet in 1986 to keep up with demand.

I've owned and used quite a lot of the Chinese stuff and I'd not say it was rubbish by any means. Just not finished to such high tolerances. 

The emergence of equipment from Russia and then China in the late 1980's and early 1990's did make decent equipment available at much lower prices.

I owned the first clone CG5 and CG4 around 1997 and was total junk compared to the SP and Polaris mounts.  I think the CG5 and CG4 got better the last few years compared to many years ago.

My CG5 and EQ5's from a similar era were OK but not as well made as the SP or Polaris mounts.

I agree that the Japanese manufacturing was to higher standards but the Chinese clones were servicable and could get folks involved with the hobby when the costs associated with the Japanese made equipment would be prohibative.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your new grab and go scope :smiley:

Archived