SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stepping up to CCD but confused over Software

AlistairW

Hello,

Thinking of buying an Atik CCD as a step up from DSLR. I understand the arguments over Mono\OSC etc , but am unsure of what software I need. At the moment I use a DSLR and BYEOS to capture. All this gives me integration to PHD, astotortilla, and dithering.

Would Artemis Capture, that comes with an Atik, allow me to do the same (i.e guide with PHD, platesolve, and dither). I am not really sure I understand the bit where you can control the guide cam from another instance of Artemis. I have a QHY5L-II and PHD. Will this combination will work for me ? I am trying to avoid more software purchases like Maxim DL, Sequence Generator Pro, or Nebulosity. Happy to try APT as that is fairly cheap, - but I am unsure how much of this is capable though Artemis.

Any help over software options much appreciated.

Thanks

Alistair

Its my understanding that Artemis capture can only be used for guiding if you have an Atik camera as your guidecam. I'd love someone to come on here and prove me wrong though as I'm currently capturing using Artemis capture and guiding with PHD2 but don't know of a way to get dithering using the two together as my guidecam is a ZWO.

I haven't got a clue about plate solving as I haven't gone down that path yet but hopefully someone will jump in with the answer.

One thing that Artemis does is it allows you to save markers over specific parts of an image ie stars. You can then superimpose the markers over the current captured image to help you realign your scope when imaging the same target over multiple sessions. I use this instead of plate solving to avoid cropping large chunks of my image in post processing.

Would Artemis Capture, that comes with an Atik, allow me to do the same (i.e guide with PHD, platesolve, and dither).

No, it wouldn't.

I have a QHY5L-II and PHD. Will this combination will work for me ? I am trying to avoid more software purchases like Maxim DL, Sequence Generator Pro, or Nebulosity. Happy to try APT as that is fairly cheap, - but I am unsure how much of this is capable though Artemis.

Well, PHD is happy to run stand-alone. An Astrotortilla is a free of charge plate-solver.

there's a heck of a difference in cost between maxim and something like SGP...about ten times the difference.

Running two instances of Artemis is absolutely no problem when I do it. It just asks you which camera you are trying to connect.

If you are starting from scratch, though, Sequence Generator Pro gets rave reviews pretty well universally. I use Artemis and guide in AA so I can't dither but it would difficult anyway, using a dual rig on which we rarely run the same sub lengths on both sides, one being NB most of the time.

Olly

Hi - Astrotortilla is great once set up and free!!SG Pro is superb but at a cost and the plate solving is easy with a fast PC and offers loads more like a good auto focussing algorithm and filter control and integrates with PHD2(only now)  and your camera - highly recomended - best wishes Tony

Archived