Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unknown Thing In Sky

reuben101

Hi I'm new here and didn't really know where to post this,

I have seen tonight something very strange in the sky (See image), that was sort of like a rainbow coloured blob, but it was alot bigger than the moon. Please see the images attached. What is it? I can provide lots more images, and some of it later once it had faded. 

Thanks,

Reuben

post-47156-0-24522800-1443475133_thumb.j

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a rare thing to see indeed. And a good photo too. I can definitely see the rainbow colours.

Yes, the Wikipedia article suggests you can't see them with the naked eye because they're not sufficiently intense for the cone receptors to work, but the colours are definitely there in this image.

James

Yeah definitely a moondog. I have only seen this phenomenon once but was immensely lucky that it was a double moon dog-one either side of the moon. One of the finest sights I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the Wikipedia article suggests you can't see them with the naked eye because they're not sufficiently intense for the cone receptors to work, but the colours are definitely there in this image.

James

Just goes to show you can't trust the "facts" on Wikipedia.  To be fair it says you can see "little colour" but I've seen a few moon dogs where the red-blue split was extremely obvious, but not a full rainbow effect with the other colours.

Hi

Just edit wikipedia when you know the information  in it is wrong.

It's not difficult, and with every entry comes a discussion page where you can explain the changes you made.

Trouble is - who is the expert ? Wiki were daft to allow anyone to edit their text as it dilutes further any reality.

Back to topic - yes a great moon dog but not as quoted by "low mist" but by ice crystals at high altitude even if seen low in apparent sky. The phenomena is identical to that seen quite frequently caused by the sun but obviously much fainter under moonlight. I think if I recall that dogs are restricted to below ~40deg altitude but the right site will define:-)

Nytecam

• 3 weeks later...

Yep often seen in sunlight. I saw this beauty and then just above it this crescent spectrum last Sunday at the dropzone in between jumps. It was quite cold at altitude so easy to imagine the ice crystals forming up there.

67c857a248bcf91e85d0df16f476b079.jpg

f99935eeb1d87be6f8238229f96f2cc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived