SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tokina 11-20,Samyang 10mm, Samyang 16mm

octavenoize

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new lens for milky way, northern lights shots. I rented a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 for use with my Nikon d5100 and got some great northern lights shots in Iceland. For the past few years I have just been using a Sigma 10-20 for night shots when travelling, however I now need..(would like?) a faster lens.

In terms of a lens just for this purpose I have narrowed it down to: (DX)

Tokina 11-20 F2.8

Samyang 10mm F2.8

Samyang 16mm F2.0

I know the Samyang is are primes and will be manual but that's not such a issue for night shots. Just looking for the best quality images

Any comments appreciated  :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 14mm f/2.8 Samyang and for the money couldn't fault it...hmmm well maybe the only possible downside was it had pretty bad moustache distortion but that was easily corrected in PS.

Love those images Octavenoize, must have been an amazing trip! :)

post-20821-0-14098000-1444135517.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. Since posting, I have also been made aware of the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8..It's more expensive and not quite so wide..but...1.8..it's another lens to consider.

Stitching photos together could be an option.. 

It looks fairly peaceful in the northern lights photo above, however it was extremely windy and very cold..! It actually started to hail about 15 minutes after I took that shot. 

I edited in Lightroom and used noise reduction in Dxo Optics Pro (I love this software the noise reduction is the best i have found..)

Hi, I will be watching this post very closely because I have the EXACT same question!
I love your pics with the Tokina and if any of my photos turn out like that I would be SOOO happy!!!

You will capture incredible photos.!! It's just travelling to the right location and having correct conditions, equipment and enthusiasm! Thanks for saying and by all means keep and eye on this post :)

Interested to see you pic with the Tokina, I have the same lens but get a lot of star distortion at F2.8, at 11mm anyway. Is this taken at 16mm? Amazing photo btw!!

Hi Martin,yes it was at 11mm I believe (without checking), glad you like the shot. We were chasing gaps in clouds all night, monitoring cloud cover using the Icelandic met website (soo useful, we wouldn't have seen them without monitoring cloud cover online)

I had the 14mm f/2.8 Samyang and for the money couldn't fault it...hmmm well maybe the only possible downside was it had pretty bad moustache distortion but that was easily corrected in PS.

Love those images Octavenoize, must have been an amazing trip! :)

Thanks for your input. I have heard other positive feedback regarding the Samyang..do you have any photos of the night sky with that lens?

It really was an awesome trip...we only had aurora activity for 2 nights out of 6..spoilt rotten on the first night though 

Archived