SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC book

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the internet will be the initial source.

One reference says 13,226 objects, equally one Wiki page says 5,386 objects, another Wiki page lists them in sections and the last section is for objects 7500 - 7840.

Which is a big difference in number of objects. Most online rererences seem to avoid giving a value to the number of objects.

If to be used I would suspect that a reference for these is a prime application for a cheap tablet. Load up a version you like and scroll through as required.

I have a copy of 'NGC 2000.0' edited by Roger Sinnott, published 1988. While it lists all the NGC and IC objects, it doesn't contain pictures.

The question earlier about the number of objects might seem confusing. The NGC catalog has 7840 objects, and the IC (a later supplement) has 5386. Together there are 13226. More recent work on these catalogs has produced a larger number of objects only because some of the original objects have multiple components identified. For example, 2 components have been identified for the galaxy NGC 67 leading to NGC 67A and NGC 67B.

'NGC 2000.0' is a nice, compact listing of the catalogs, but 'Observing and Cataloguing Nebulae and Star Clusters' by Dr. Wolfgang Steinicke, published in 2010, is truly definitive. It explores the history of the catalogs and include pictures of a few (but not all) objects. This is a hardback book that is really expensive in the US. Maybe it is more reasonable in the UK.

The internet is probably the best resource for pictures of all the objects although I don't know of a site that has photos for all objects. You can certainly query the online DSS websites for photos, but they aren't organized by object number.

I wish you luck with this endeavour!

- Phyllis

http://spider.seds.org/ngc/ngc.html

Or

"New General Catalogue of Nebulae and Cluster of Stars (1888) Index Catalogue (1895) and Second Index Catalogue (1908)" by J.L.E. Dreyer, published as Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society 1971 but I doubt if this is still available

I was wrong:-

https://archive.org/details/NewGeneralCatalogueOfNebulaeAndClustersOfStarsIndexCatalogue

Downloadable as pdf - 18Mb

The Steinicke book is on Amazon market place for a tenner.

James

Thanks James for the heads up. Actually, I just bought one on Amazon for 5.60 including delivery to Spain. This will be an amazing bargain if it turns up! I saw the book at Astrofest some years back but couldn't justify the cost at the time.

Not the complete NGC by any means, but Mark Bratton's guide to the Herschel Objects does a great job for a significant fraction of the catalogue, including plenty of images and observing reports. I often use it to select targets.

Martin

I have a book which does list them all however there is very little information about each object, simply type of object, RA and Dec, Which constellation it's in, size and magnitude. There also a code against each object to give some idea of the visual impression and a table of which ones also appear in the IC catalogue. No pictures etc, simply a row of text per object but if they started adding pictures etc for all 7,840 the volume would be absolutely massive. A very useful reference source though.

I thought I'd get a copy too for under a tenner; twice. The Spanish order cancelled on me, and the other one had been mislisted and was some other book. Fningers crossed though.

As to why, well books are just lovely, lovely to look through at the weird and wonderful things out there. I think books are like art, they can be appreciated for their aesthetic appeal without necessarily having any useful purpose.

James

All the suggestions are going down well and Observing and Cataloguing Nebulae and Star Clusters seems like the best choice, however I can't seem to see this on amazon for under a tenner like people are mentioning, I only see it for around £130!! Does anyone have a link to the 'under a tenner' one?

As for why the book, Im just after one resource that I can use to plan my imaging sessions, and maybe find a hidden gem every now and then that might go un-noticed by the many.

Rich

Rich, I agree. There's a load of stuff in the NGC that is observed infrequently, and bound to be some nuggets in there e.g. the group of 5 NGCs surround NGC 5044, the peculiar split galaxy NGC 5403, the NGC 5775 group, … The issue for me is whether a long tabular list of NGCs is going to help find these. An alternative is to browse some of the deeper maps to look for interesting configurations. Or check out the Arp or V-V lists of interacting galaxies for some intriguing candidates.

On the book front, I just checked amazon.co.uk and you can still see the tome advertised under the 'More buying choices' for 1.62 + postage. Personally, I don't have much confidence in it arriving but I thought it worth a punt at that price...

Martin

I like the confidence, but I suspect the book you are expecting, in the format you are expecting, is unlikely to arrive at the price you are expecting. Having said that, I had already ordered one on the off chance it does arrive :)

James

Archived