SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DOBSONIAN finder

Hi can anyone help me with the best advice regarding a good finder for a DOBSONIAN 200p, I've been looking for a telrad but wondering do they do a laser type finder?

Also what make of wide field EP do 200p users recommend? A few year back I had a 32mm revaluation EP which I found pretty nice to use.

Thanks in advance

On my 10" Dob I have a telrad and a standard finder scope with a right angle prism, I find the combination works really well. I also have the telrad dew shield with mirror fitted to the telrad which means that when searching high up, I can flip the mirror up and not do my contortionist impression (it turns the telrad into a 90 deg Finder too).

As far as ep are concern, I use a Baadar Hyperion 24mm at least 90% of the time. That gives a magnification of 50x and an actual FoV of 1.36 deg. The range of ep can switch between 1.25" and 2" easily so I have 24, 17, 13, 10 and 8mm; love them to bits.

On my 10" Dob I have a telrad and a standard finder scope with a right angle prism, I find the combination works really well. I also have the telrad dew shield with mirror fitted to the telrad which means that when searching high up, I can flip the mirror up and not do my contortionist impression (it turns the telrad into a 90 deg Finder too).

As far as ep are concern, I use a Baadar Hyperion 24mm at least 90% of the time. That gives a magnification of 50x and an actual FoV of 1.36 deg. The range of ep can switch between 1.25" and 2" easily so I have 24, 17, 13, 10 and 8mm; love them to bits.

How did you fit the mirror to the telrad? Could you post a photo?

That's a great idea, I find it hard use straight up with the dew shield fitted.

Tony.

How did you fit the mirror to the telrad? Could you post a photo?

That's a great idea, I find it hard use straight up with the dew shield fitted.

Tony.

The telrad dew shield comes either with or without a mirror (£15 and £25 respectively from memory). The mirror is on a small turn screw so rest up against the hood of the dew shield and you turn the thumb screw to flip in into place when you want to use it. I haven't found a way of putting pictures on SGL yet from my iPad (which probably means I'm reaching a certain age) but there's a picky at http://www.365astronomy.com/images/P/X-telrad-finder-dew-shield-plus-with-mirror.jpg

If you're good at intricate DIY you may be able to modify your telrad, if you can, it's well worth doing.

Happy viewing

Archived