SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sufficient Power for approx 3-4 hours in the field

Xiga

Hey gazers

So i've been gradually accumulating all the bits and bobs needed to make a start in DSO imaging this coming winter, and so far i'm up to the following:

ED80 (arriving soon, thanks FLO)

0.85 FF/FR

Skywatcher 9x50 finder, plus scope rings from ScopeStuff and adapter from Modern Astronomy (all for guiding)

An old QHY5 (original version) also for guiding

HEQ5 Pro

17Ahr Power Tank (with 2 cigarette/car charger sockets). Has been working great for me with the HEQ5Pro and heated dew shield for my C8 these last 2 years. 

2nd hand Canon 60D with original battery and (camera only had 150 shutter actuations) and a 64GB SDXC card

2nd hand Samsung N220 netbook upgraded with 2GB of RAM (battery is knackered, only lasts 2 hrs in a warm room). The netbook has 3 USB slots for the 60D, QHY5, and EQDirect cable. Plan is to use it to run Cartes Du Ciel, PHD, and APT only, and saving the subs to the mem card. 

EQDirect cable

HitecAstro Dew Controller plus 2 dew straps, one for the finder and one for the ED80

Unfortunately i don't have the luxury of having an obsy (or even a back garden!) so all imaging has to be done one night a month only (weather permitting of course) with my local Astro Society at a remote site. A typical night usually only lasts 3 or 4 hours at most, so this is the max time the gear would have to run for. I had originally thought the camera battery would be able to handle this, with the power tank handing the mount and dew heaters and the netbook is supposed to have amazing battery life (when new) so i thought i'd be sorted, but now i'm starting to think that with the cold winter weather i may have mis-judged the situation somewhat! lol

So given the above, what suggestions does anybody have for more or less ensuring i get through a typical night's imaging, without spending a fortune (was hoping around £50 tops) and keeping portability in mind? (i.e big leisure batteries are out i'm afraid). It's the laptop & camera that are going to be the issues i think. I had thought i would just buy a new laptop battery, but if the cold will just kill it then there won't be much point surely? Same goes for the 60D. 

I had seen this to potentially power the laptop:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-N220-Plus-Compatible-Adapter/dp/B006T0VVAS

The price is certainly right, and i'd need a splitter to give me an extra socket on the power tank to work with, but i'm not great with electronics so i don't know how much of a strain it would put on the power tank? 

Open to all suggestions guys & gals, as i've already blown my budget for this and then some!  :eek:

But i'm in for the long haul no matter what. I'm forever motivated by the incredible images i see here every day and i won't stop until i'm able to produce something, no matter how utterly useless it may be to begin with. 

(and so the climb up Mountain 'Steep Learning Curve' begins ;-)

Clear skies all!

So it turns out trying to buy a new battery for an old laptop is a bit of a minefield. Half the ones out there are lower grade than the original, or have been sitting in storage for so long that they have lost quite a bit of their capacity. I'm a bit peeved i bought the 2nd hand Samsung netbook now as the whole point of it was for the incredible battery life.

I'm now thinking this might be better :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NTYF892/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=1I04TSJV3OZX3&coliid=I3P09FIYGXMYDH&vs=1

It's rated as 28000mah, and it's got a 19v output to power a laptop. Plus the 2 usb ports could always come in handy.

Im also thinking i will just get the Canon Power Supply from Astronomiser, along with a cigarette splitter adapter, and plug it into my 17Ah power supply.

Does my plan have any holes in it, or does anybody have a better solution?

Cheers!

Archived