SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

astronomy clubs

Difficult to say what to expect.

Some clubs are good, others you may want to get out the door as soon as possible.

Been to odd ones. At one I was looked at as if I were an alien - people kept turning round to look at me.

At another no one even said hello or asked what I was there for, literally not one single word, when you consider it was outside at night observing in a car park sort of in the middle of nowhere I did kind of expect someone to ask if I was lost, or might I actually be there for the advertised puplic meeting.

Another is informal and friendly. Turned up, had a box handed me and told to follow the one in front. So I did. Halfway along the path someone said I see you have been roped in already.

What you will get I have no idea.

Just in case you are looking for clubs: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

Not sure what is over your direction, I think someone from there goes to Hertford, depends if you have transport.

Guess Letchworth and Cambridge are too far, how about the Luton club?

There's also the Federation of Astronomical Societies (FAS) that have a list of member societies

http://fedastro.org....rs/members-a-z/

Unfortunately they don't seem to want to provide a filter by location :/ so you'll have to look for names.

James

I note in particular there's a "dead link" to Stafford AS - a quick Google indicates they're still about, but there's not much info. I considered joining them years ago, then other things cropped up and my interest lapsed.

Well worth trying a few out, most clubs seem to get a reputation. I belong to two that are very different from each other except that membership of both are very friendly. Hope you find a good one, always remember that you're all there because of a mutual interest in astronomy.

I can only speak of the three I belong to but all were very friendly to a group-noobie, coming over to introduce themselves and pointing out other members of the group (and in one case nearly rugby tackling me in order to get me to buy some raffle tickets  :lol:  ). All I can say is I wish I'd joined them years ago.

I'm visiting my local one tomorrow after work. Hopefully they'll welcome me as a long lost friend and donate me a top scope and kit as a welcome present. I'd settle for not being rugby tackled or made to make tea ;-)

Welcome friend. your HUGE scope will be waiting by the door for you. On a more serious note I hope we make you welcome if not then I will have not been doing my job properly and will need to make the tea as punishment.

Archived