Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommended pre-scope purchases?

Before I take order of my first scope. I am currently holding back to take advice from a friend and also possibly my local society. Whatever I decide, I know there will be other items to consider. Essentials such as the following:

A lunar filter - I forget the number, is there a specific brand?

Magazine subscription - suggested UK-orientated suitable for behpginners

Star map or star atlas? - again are they generic or done better than others?

Reading material - beginners guides? - turn left at Orion etc.

Philips items planisphere, any essentials, any to avoid?

I presume to avoid the more U.S.-biased Dummy's guide.

Obviously I've found my forum of choice, in the process of finding a local society and just need to find a supplier of quality optics within driving distance of this area. Again I presume northeast members or club members might be the best to ask.

Feel free to suggest (or otherwise) any of the above.

Steve

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recomend Google Sky Maps, it helped me alot when i first started. I bought a Skywatcher synscan AZ Goto skyhawk 1145p as my first scope, i bought it as it had a very good review in the sky at night magazine, it was also a group test winner in the same mag. Really good optics.

I would recommend the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. Compact, spiral bound, easy to use but pretty comprehensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317

Sorting out a red light torch will be handy too, either bought or make one by putting red sweet wrappers over a small torch ;).

I've personally never got on with planispheres, I think a phone app these days is far more useful and intuitive. Use this when you are not observing properly to start learning the constellations.

Not sure I would bother with a moon filter at this stage, just see how you get on when you get the scope. In fact in general I would suggest waiting until you have a bit of experience under your belt before spending too much cash.

Depending upon what you end up with, a Telrad Finder or Rigel plus a RACI Finder are both extremely useful for......you guessed it.... finding stuff, which initially will be your biggest challenge.

another thing you might do is to check the local library for the range of astronomy magazines or books.  That way you can check which magazine 'suits' as well.  Don't forget to ask if they can bring books in from the central holdings / library as well on an inter-library loan.  It cuts down the costs and lets you make wiser choices.

michael

Hi, Steve.

I get the vibe and feel your anticipation, eagerness, excitement and the drive within you. And this is written as one novice to another, really. Maybe just a pace ahead of you but close enough still to recognise the heat of your enthusiasm.

The only 'essentials' that you can possibly control are getting yourself looking through a telescope and having a good view. Out of your control are clear skies and, to some extent, the time and circumstance to view/observe.

A lunar filter - I forget the number, is there a specific brand? Not essential, might be nice in future. Nevertheless, once you've had a look at the Moon through your scope you'll want to find out what it looks like through a filter - so your local society or your astro-friend may help, there.

Magazine subscription - suggested UK-orientated suitable for behpginners. Not essential, unless you turn your back on the Web. (Which seems unlikely since you're here!) . You'll find enough stuff online to answer any question you may have. SGL is first port of choice for most specific things but if you simply key into Google the words of the question in your head (usually starting with 'How do I ...') you'll find oodles of information. As usual regarding online, some of the stuff will fry your brain. But you'll learn. Sometimes questions posted on SGL could easily be answered by the posters themselves with a simple online search. I have found that Googling(?) an astro question often comes up with a link to SGL anyhow. There is also a search faciilty within SGL - just beware of keying in 'eyepieces'!

Star map or star atlas? - again are they generic or done better than others? As per post 5 above, from Stu, the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas will be hard to beat. As per other previous advice, Stellarium and Sky Safari are astonishingly helpful in so many ways.

Reading material - beginners guides? - turn left at Orion etc. Yes. Definitely yes. Lots of reading material (see above). Again, yes. Turn Left at Orion is highly recommended (although its worth was questioned by a revered member in a recent thread :shocked:). I have learned from it, will continue to learn from it and intend to use it for the foreseeable future. The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders is also a classic and I have a lot of learning to pick up from that one, too. There are many other publications dedicated to different aspects of the hobby, such as solar observing, imaging, etc., but you'll find out where the hobby is taking you and read/acquire accordingly.

Philips items planisphere, any essentials, any to avoid? A Planisphere is a great wee thing and I enjoy having one and I do use it. Again, there are no 'essentials' involved, I am not aware of anything you should 'avoid' in this respect except, perhaps, any kind of monthly subscription thingie. I get a Sky & Telescope 'newsletter' email every week and that's enough to keep me happy and well enough informed. Cant remember if there's a subscription involved but if there is, it's nominal.

I presume to avoid the more U.S.-biased Dummy's guide. I'm a dummy and perfectly happy to learn from any source, anywhere ... Count nothing out, I'd say, until you've tried it.

Obviously I've found my forum of choice, Check!

in the process of finding a local society  Cracking idea.

... I presume northeast members or club members might be the best to ask. Check.

I am a relative newcomer to the hobby and I'm having fun with all the stuff that goes with it. I just recently discussed this with my local astro club. I find it fascinating that as well as learning about constellations, star names, the solar system, comets, asteroids and all that side of it, we also learn things about our eyes (cones, rods and why averted vision works); the different properties of PTFE, better known as Teflon (I know!); when magnification is good and when it's bad - and why; how to use the software and online tools available ... and that's to mention only the things that come to mind quickly.

It's difficult, I know, but the best advice I can give you - and this is received wisdom - is to tread softly and enjoy every step of the way. Think of a Zen approach. Your hunger is palpable, but take the time to enjoy the feast slowly, if you can.

Have fun.

Now for the mandatory, shameless plug for:

STELLARIUM! As per the advice previously: This is a fantastic software-program that will show you all the stars, planets, and deep-space obects out there and visible from your personal location. The views are very realistic and can easily be fine-tuned to help you find just about everything out yonder. And it's FREE. The following is my copy & paste.....

It takes awhile to download due to it's size. So wait until you have a bit of free time to load it. And to set-up may take you anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 days - depending on what you wish to do! Did I mention it's big? So here's the link:

http://barry.sarcasm...r_guide-new.pdf

And the online version currently:

http://www.stellariu...rium_User_Guide

And we are honoured to have one of the developers here as a member.

This program is easily one of the best going. And updates are always in the works, so check for updates frequently.

Enjoy!

Dave

I would recommend the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. Compact, spiral bound, easy to use but pretty comprehensive.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317

Sorting out a red light torch will be handy too, either bought or make one by putting red sweet wrappers over a small torch ;).

I've personally never got on with planispheres, I think a phone app these days is far more useful and intuitive. Use this when you are not observing properly to start learning the constellations.

Not sure I would bother with a moon filter at this stage, just see how you get on when you get the scope. In fact in general I would suggest waiting until you have a bit of experience under your belt before spending too much cash.

Depending upon what you end up with, a Telrad Finder or Rigel plus a RACI Finder are both extremely useful for......you guessed it.... finding stuff, which initially will be your biggest challenge.

Thanks for the reply, I almost mentioned red torch as well. This is where societies are helpful as well as a source of castoff, i.e. cheap gear as well. I'm gathering knowledge rather than equipment at this stage :-)

Hi, Steve.

I get the vibe and feel your anticipation, eagerness, excitement and the drive within you. And this is written as one novice to another, really. Maybe just a pace ahead of you but close enough still to recognise the heat of your enthusiasm.

The only 'essentials' that you can possibly control are getting yourself looking through a telescope and having a good view. Out of your control are clear skies and, to some extent, the time and circumstance to view/observe.

A lunar filter - I forget the number, is there a specific brand? Not essential, might be nice in future. Nevertheless, once you've had a look at the Moon through your scope you'll want to find out what it looks like through a filter - so your local society or your astro-friend may help, there.

Magazine subscription - suggested UK-orientated suitable for behpginners. Not essential, unless you turn your back on the Web. (Which seems unlikely since you're here!) . You'll find enough stuff online to answer any question you may have. SGL is first port of choice for most specific things but if you simply key into Google the words of the question in your head (usually starting with 'How do I ...') you'll find oodles of information. As usual regarding online, some of the stuff will fry your brain. But you'll learn. Sometimes questions posted on SGL could easily be answered by the posters themselves with a simple online search. I have found that Googling(?) an astro question often comes up with a link to SGL anyhow. There is also a search faciilty within SGL - just beware of keying in 'eyepieces'!

Star map or star atlas? - again are they generic or done better than others? As per post 5 above, from Stu, the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas will be hard to beat. As per other previous advice, Stellarium and Sky Safari are astonishingly helpful in so many ways.

Reading material - beginners guides? - turn left at Orion etc. Yes. Definitely yes. Lots of reading material (see above). Again, yes. Turn Left at Orion is highly recommended (although its worth was questioned by a revered member in a recent thread :shocked:). I have learned from it, will continue to learn from it and intend to use it for the foreseeable future. The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders is also a classic and I have a lot of learning to pick up from that one, too. There are many other publications dedicated to different aspects of the hobby, such as solar observing, imaging, etc., but you'll find out where the hobby is taking you and read/acquire accordingly.

Philips items planisphere, any essentials, any to avoid? A Planisphere is a great wee thing and I enjoy having one and I do use it. Again, there are no 'essentials' involved, I am not aware of anything you should 'avoid' in this respect except, perhaps, any kind of monthly subscription thingie. I get a Sky & Telescope 'newsletter' email every week and that's enough to keep me happy and well enough informed. Cant remember if there's a subscription involved but if there is, it's nominal.I presume to avoid the more U.S.-biased Dummy's guide. I'm a dummy and perfectly happy to learn from any source, anywhere ... Count nothing out, I'd say, until you've tried it.Obviously I've found my forum of choice, Check!

in the process of finding a local society  Cracking idea.

... I presume northeast members or club members might be the best to ask. Check.

I am a relative newcomer to the hobby and I'm having fun with all the stuff that goes with it. I just recently discussed this with my local astro club. I find it fascinating that as well as learning about constellations, star names, the solar system, comets, asteroids and all that side of it, we also learn things about our eyes (cones, rods and why averted vision works); the different properties of PTFE, better known as Teflon (I know!); when magnification is good and when it's bad - and why; how to use the software and online tools available ... and that's to mention only the things that come to mind quickly.

It's difficult, I know, but the best advice I can give you - and this is received wisdom - is to tread softly and enjoy every step of the way. Think of a Zen approach. Your hunger is palpable, but take the time to enjoy the feast slowly, if you can.

Have fun.

You could be me! I think you're right. Patience is a virtue but virtuosity isn't a string suit with me. I'm trying desperately not to just dive in but tempering that with the necessity to get started. All good advice from someone just a small step ahead of me. I visit the Aviemore / Speyside every year so not sure if that's near you but will be taking the scope next time to checkout the northern skies.

Thanks for taking the time to answer as it was a lengthy post and much appreciated. Indeed I'm grateful for all answers and opinion. I'm sure I will make a few errors on the way but hopefully not critical or expensive;-)

Now for the mandatory, shameless plug for:

STELLARIUM! As per the advice previously: This is a fantastic software-program that will show you all the stars, planets, and deep-space obects out there and visible from your personal location. The views are very realistic and can easily be fine-tuned to help you find just about everything out yonder. And it's FREE. The following is my copy & paste.....

It takes awhile to download due to it's size. So wait until you have a bit of free time to load it. And to set-up may take you anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 days - depending on what you wish to do! Did I mention it's big? So here's the link:

http://barry.sarcasm...r_guide-new.pdf

And the online version currently:

http://www.stellariu...rium_User_Guide

And we are honoured to have one of the developers here as a member.

This program is easily one of the best going. And updates are always in the works, so check for updates frequently.

Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks Dave. Nothing wrong with a plug (shameless or otherwise) I no longer use or like PC/windows so presume the software is available on Mac or iPad via iTunes? Can certainly add to Mac or MacBook Air.

Apologies for the separate answers. I tried to multi-quote but either I messed up or as a new member I am not allowed?

Steve

Thanks for the reply, I almost mentioned red torch as well. This is where societies are helpful as well as a source of castoff, i.e. cheap gear as well. I'm gathering knowledge rather than equipment at this stage :-)

Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

An excellent source of used astro equipment in the UK is the UK Astro Buy & Sell website:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

Don't hurry into purchases though. The astro equipment market is a complex place with almost any item you care to mention having multiple options each with their own pros and cons :wink:

I think all you really need to buy at the moment is an atlas to find your way around. If you're holding off on the scope for a little while, I'd recommend getting the atlas now to learn how to navigate your way around the sky if you're unfamiliar with that. As many have said, of the paper variety you will struggle to beat Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. Get yourself a red torch too!

Other than that, wait until you've got your scope before spending any more money. You'll start to get an understanding of what you need after your first few sessions with it.

Thanks Dave. Nothing wrong with a plug (shameless or otherwise) I no longer use or like PC/windows so presume the software is available on Mac or iPad via iTunes? Can certainly add to Mac or MacBook Air.

Apologies for the separate answers. I tried to multi-quote but either I messed up or as a new member I am not allowed?

Steve

Yes, Stellarium runs on Mac systems. I don't know about iPad - I don't play with those.

Enjoy,

Dave

You can get Stellarium on iPad, but because I'm cheap, I'd get Skyview Free to start off.   Get Stellarium if its free for Mac though, it is VERY good.

Apart from Stellarium and turn left at orion, I don't think you need any of the other stuff.  I found out a lot of what I want to know from looking/asking in this very forum.

I think all you really need to buy at the moment is an atlas to find your way around. If you're holding off on the scope for a little while, I'd recommend getting the atlas now to learn how to navigate your way around the sky if you're unfamiliar with that. As many have said, of the paper variety you will struggle to beat Sky and Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. Get yourself a red torch too!

Other than that, wait until you've got your scope before spending any more money. You'll start to get an understanding of what you need after your first few sessions with it.

I'll be ordering the scope, or should I more accurately say the "first" scope and hopefully joining or at least visiting the local SAS (Sunderland Astronomy Society) so should be a busy and interesting week. Of course there I can ask a shed load of dumb questions too;-)

Steve

As already mentioned above, unlike the Uk's  Road Map Atlas, nothing much changes above, so in my view, one Star map / book,  looks  very much the same as the other!  Its the presentation that makes one book better than the last, So finding the right book is essential.

The next essential is the  red torch a dim one, the dimmer the better, just enough to read the book and no more?

Given that you'll be spending a lot of time outside from now on, get yourself some thermal underwear, something like fingerless gloves ( I use neoprene anglers gloves), maybe a snood or open face balaclava ( say goodbye to your sartorial elegance!), good thick socks etc. the warmer you are, the longer you'll stay out there!

Good luck!

Barry

Best of luck, Steve. Which scope have you decided to go for?

Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO System - a 127 Mak Cas which comes with a couple of EP's 10 & 25mm as well as a 2x Barlow - but then you probably already knew that lol. I've not ordered as want to be 100% sure (although 99% now) also not sure from where to purchase and whether to make a few more items make the postal journey with it to save on postage and time.

Just a pity there was nowhere local,I could pick up this kit in County Durham / Northumberland area. Briefly it ticks boxes for size, weight and portability and therefore usability. Will be used much more away from the location than at. Very handy kit for the car.

Given that you'll be spending a lot of time outside from now on, get yourself some thermal underwear, something like fingerless gloves ( I use neoprene anglers gloves), maybe a snood or open face balaclava ( say goodbye to your sartorial elegance!), good thick socks etc. the warmer you are, the longer you'll stay out there!

Good luck!

Barry

Fortunately I come from a rambling background so every thing from thermals, waterproofs, base layers, boots gloves and more. I know they won't be needed though as I'm led to believe star spotting is always done under crystal clear dad skies on balmy summer evenings. So no worries there.

Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO System - a 127 Mak Cas

I haven't owned a Mak but have read and heard many reports of them having two issues that you should be aware of before you buy.

Firstly, they must be properly cooled before they will perform well. If you are planning to keep it in the house and take outside to use be prepared to wait half an hour or so to let it reach ambient temperature. Secondly, the front element is very prone to dew, so you will need to save some pennies to spend on dew prevention otherwise you will be looking through fog.

All that said, those who use them see to love them so these are just things to get used to coping with, not faults.

Derek

Archived