Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laptop or PC for observatory

chouet

Hi all

A 2006 Pentium D (home built) desktop PC has been running my Skyshed Pod for the last few years. I've always left it turned on (unless updates, etc shut it down) on the basis that it can't hurt to have a little heat in there to keep itself dry.

It's had a few problems recently, which I now know is faulty memory (or memory slot).

I do have a Sony touchscreen laptop/tablet hybrid which has been relegated to Minecraft duties.

Any thoughts on benefits of a laptop vs fixing up the PC / frost heater?

Nick 

Its easy to test whether it is memory or slot, swap over the sticks of ram in the slots and see if the fault moves with the memory. If you have had 9 years out of the memory it has served you well. If it is the ram I would replace with two new modules and give yourself a small upgrade!.

It's always better if you can keep the obsy above freezing. But it really does not matter whether desktop or laptop. It is easier to move laptop indoors, though you have the same challenge in keeping the electronics dry.

Buy some ACF 50. This is the best spray for repelling moisture, it is non conductive so won't affect electrics.

Also a Dehumidifier is a valuable tool, for ANY observatory.

I together with another member on here. Use ACF 50 and keep our Dehumidifiers running day and night in our observatories. The DH keeps the place free of moisture and frost free.

We both use PC's 

PCs are relatively more reliable. If necessary you can change out parts easilly. Laptops at best you can only change memory and hard drives.

The newer apple laptops now I believe have no swappable components as they are soldered in place, reliability as the excuse.

A laptop is very easily taken in a breakin, not so a PC monitor keyboard etc.

You can have a large monitor or two or three if wanted with a PC.

You can have multiple hard drives, I have eight. Usually you can also set up a RAID array very easilly.

Why make life difficult and more expensive for very little functionality?

Derek

Laptops were designed and made to serve one function: portability, and many compromises were made to achieve the necessary miniaturisation and weight saving. If you don't need to move the computer around I see no advantage to using a laptop at all. I have two full-height tower PCs in my obs, and also a laptop for the odd time when I need to see results on screen for stuff I'm doing at the telescope. Apart from that it rarely gets used for anything at all.

ChrisH

I agree with Chris. But add to that laptops are too fragile.

The only use I find suitable is at Star Camps, but I am looking into building a smaller PC to take away. That way I can also use a larger monitor with better resolution.

Derek

• 1 year later...

I have gone down the laptop route - with a docking station.  The dock is linked up to hard drives, monitor, mouse, keyboard and my imaging power/usb hub.

I just connect the laptop and I'm good to go.

I do run a frost heater and a dehumidifier - on 24/7.  Heater keeps the inside above freezing and the dehumidifier keeps the humidity below 60%

I will be using one of each, by PC will be running the mount and controlling the guiding side of things and the Laptop will control the main imaging camera. that way I can bring it indoors to do my processing should I wish to. But yet to sort any heating and humidity control out in the obsy.

While admittedly my situation is milder (currently +4.444C), I use my Laptop as my field computer, and my desktop (Tower) PC as my indoor computer. The two are connected via WiFi and Tight Vnc.

The laptop, once established in the garden (backyard), is controlled from inside. I use a powered hub, and a USB thumb drive as my storage medium. The laptop is covered by a plastic bin to keep it dry.

The Laptop gets brought in with the telescope each night. My mount remains set-up but covered in the outside. I lovingly refer to it as my 32 gallon "observatory". My mount is covered by a weather proof canvas bag, and a 32 gallon plastic trash bin. So far, so good.

Tonight I'm pulling down the Bubble Nebula, and iced Fireball Whiskey. And enjoying both. :evil6:

Archived