Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good evening from County Durham!

Quacker64

Hello ladies and gentleman.

Name here is Steve and here from a background more of optics, birding and spotter scopes and an interest (lapsed of late somewhat) of Amateur Radio.

Just about to order my first Astronomical telescope based on what I may or may not use, looking at a 127mm Maksutov Cassegrain with the computerised handset. I figure the small and reasonably light combo will be easy to take portable outdoors and possibly to a local society once I have located one.

Meanwhile as a complete newcomer with no books, charts or kit, I'm looking to see what I need to get started, or perhaps more accurately, what I DON'T need.

Will now go spread my wings so to speak as this place looks full of stuff I will need.

Steve

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL. As an imager only, I know probably less about looking up than you do!! I have picked up that the book Turn Left at Orion is very good. You can also download a programme such as Stellarium to your PC, that will give you a feel for what's about.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

What a fantastic welcome - thanks very much everyone and good to see a few users local to me (handy for when I'm really stuck lol). I'm also thinking of joining the SAS (Sunderland Astronomical Society - I think) as I work near there but Thursday's are trick,because of work and other commitments.

Thanks for the Advice - lots to take in but a few books and maps etc. are always a good idea. I'm lucky as I have a mentor at work with several scopes and a converted loft as well as several scopes. He's not aware yet that he's my mentor, but soon will be.

The problem might be not what to collect but what NOT to collect. These pages I'm sure will help.

One final thing, when I look at all the various signatures and kit listed, 95% means nothing to me. There's the first challenge then! Thanks again you friendly bunch.

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to SGL. As an imager only, I know probably less about looking up than you do!! I have picked up that the book Turn Left at Orion is very good. You can also download a programme such as Stellarium to your PC, that will give you a feel for what's about.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Lovely images Sara. Maybe in a decade I might get around to Astrophotography or imaging. Until then I'll leave it to the experts, but I couldn't resist a peek.

..... but Thursday's are trick,because of work and other commitments......

Steve

Hi

The SAS meet on the second and third Sunday of the month from September to May, in addition to the Thursday night meetings. The second Sunday is a workshop night to chat and learn to use equipment ( ideal for beginners ), while the third Sunday is lecture night with guest speakers. Quite often the place is open on the other two Sunday's of the month if there's someone free with a key to open up. Those nights are informal chat/workshop nights too.

Steve ( in Washington )

Archived