Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new eyepeice or new barlow?

rockystar

I have a Skywatcher 200p, with the stock eyepieces and Barlow that come with it:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-eyepieces/sky-watcher_super-ma_series_eyepieces.html - 25mm & 10mm

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_accessories-barlow_lenses/sky-watcher-125-x2-deluxe-barlow-double-lens.html

I've been informed that the 25mm is ok for now, but the 10mm is rubbish and should be replaced as soon as possible.

I'm going to get something like a 6.5mm and maybe an 18mm. The question is, is the Barlow that I've got any good, or will it not do justice to a £60-80 eyepiece?

Should I upgrade it, our consider another eyepiece in-between the two?

Also, does anyone have any direct experience with the Meade 5000 HD-60 series? I've seen them for just over £80, which is the top of my price range at the moment; I've also heard good things about the Celstron xcel lx, which are a little bit cheaper.

Hi,

am I right in thinking your scope is on an Eq5 mount?

I've got the dob version so I'm not going to comment on eyepieces - except to ask - what do you think of your 10mm eyepiece?

Are there particular things about it you dislike e.g. the eye relief or field of view or do you think the view isn't sharp enough?

Thinking of this may give you a better idea what to choose as an upgrade.

Maybe give yourself some time with the eyepieces to see what you like and dislike.

If the barlow unscrews at the bottom you can screw the bottom part of the barlow onto your 10mm to get approx. 6.7mm.

Graham

The bst starguiders will work well in your scope £49 at skies the limit on eBay I still have the 8mm.They also come in 3.2,5,12,15,18,and 25mm.I will also add the 10mm is usable so try giving it a try as with the Barlow you may be surprised.

I too own the 200P Dob. I too have the same EPs and changed them first for the 8mm BST replacing the SW10mm, then replacing the SW25 for the BST 18mm, then found the 25mm BST at a good price, but favour the 70° 32mm Panaview for my widest views.

As for the SW Deluxe, its a good Barlow, i can use it with my DSLR, plus I mainly use the Barlow in its shortened guise, ie without the plated extension, just screwing the lens cell to any eyepiece, giving a Barlow factor of about 1.6x , which suits me just fine, having so many EPs to choose from.

If you own the 200P f/5 Explorer, a 5mm eyepiece would be a good start, for your high power EP.

Recently I bought the Revelation Astro 9mm and 12mm Plossl, cheap as chips, dont let the price fool you, excellent views with about 52° afov. Astroboot! Under GSO?

thanks guys. Yes, it's on an eq5. The 10mm isn't as sharp as the 25 and doesn't have very good eye relief, the 25 feels pretty comfortable; I  was looking at the moon through it the other day and couldn't get good focus with the 10, whereas the 25 gave some really good views.

It was a video from scopes & skies that said the 10mm wouldn't show off the full potential of the scope and wasn't a very good quality lens. Think maybe I'll start with a shorter length eyepiece and see how I get on.

And ye, the Barlow does unscrew, but I couldn't work out how to screw it into the lens - probably just being dense.

You should achieve good focus from both EPs on the Moon? Try Barlowing the 25mm see how the view is, this will be the equivalent of using a 12.5mm EP. If its still not good, then collimation is required to better align the mirrors?

My 5mm BST has about 13mm eye relief, according to the text!. Barlowing an eyepiece should maintain most of the eye relief, so if you purchased a 10 or 12mm EP of your choice, you can Barlow them for the higher magnifications, maintaining eye relief. BSTs are comfortable to use, Plossls have very short eye relief with their shorter focal lengths!

I'm always amazed that quality scopes like the 200P come with eyepieces of (imho) rather less quality, it would almost be better if no ep was supplied at all leaving the owner to choose what they want (or carry on using what they already have).

With regard to ep or Barlow, my own opinion is to go for a relatively high quality longer focal length ep, although I have some barlows, I never use them and do at least 90% of my observing with a Baadar Hyperion 24mm.

laudropd.... the Skywatcher 2x Deluxe Barlow can be unscrewed from the plated sleeve/tube, which is set-aside, leaving just the Barlow lens cell which can be screwed onto the base of the eyepiece, if threaded.

Otherwise, the EP is indeed inserted inside the Barlow.

I feel like a parrot saying this again.....Aw well - SQUAWK!

I believe the reason people commonly say they have a Barlow, but don't use it often - is due to inexpensive Barlow's giving rather muddy visual performance. It is also why you can find a shipload of them for sale in the used-astro markets. This is why I always council people to spring for a TeleVue Barlow (2X or 3X or both) or a TeleVue PowerMate.

I don't often recommend TeleVue to people - I don't wish to appear mighty & snooty. It's just that the best Barlow is one that vanishes in your optical-path. In other words it doesn't dim the object or blur it out. Buying low-cost Barlows usually means you'll get ½ your £ when you sell it. Or it will make a nice paper-weight. So if you decide to go the Barlow road, I suggest buying the last Barlow you'll ever buy - the best one(s) out there. TeleVue isn't the only great, vanishing-act Barlow lens available. Others will be able to advise you which others to consider. I'm just familiar with the TV ones.

Clear views,

Dave

I find the BST Starguiders suit my kit, and most of all, they suit me, I find them a very 

good eyepiece, that are comfortable to use, and give me very good views, for the money,

what more can you ask, if you try them and you find they don't suit your needs, you can

return them, but eyepieces are all about personal needs and expectations.

Archived