Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light Weight Obby Roof

Tinker1947

It wasn't a chore opening the old roof but it wasn't getting any easier with practice and i ain't getting any younger so it has been replaced with a lightweight affair that tips the scales under 50lbs i suspect, it's made from 2 sheets of polycarbonate twin wall front to back 85" width 96" with a snap in joint down the middle front to back, 2 pieces of 4" X 1" along the front and back hold the sheets together and stop any sagging, 5 X 125mm castors with their rubber tyres removed so they will run along 2 Scaffold poles, the poles held in place with 12mm 150mm long stainless coach screws these are screwed into the corner Obby Uprights which are 4" X 4" post 4' in the ground the Obby walls are 4" X 1" treated timber on the outside, the other end of the scaffold poles go into a 4" X 4" post with a 2" hole bored in the top end these posts are in the ground around 2' putting it all together was simple enough i needed a hand to lift the roof onto the scaffold poles not due the weight but the sizes, getting the scaffold poles level turned out to be quite easy i dug the holes deeper than required, inserted a pole in the post raise the pole up and screwed it to the Obby on either corner, the post was then leveled and pea shingle half files its holes, spirt level on the poles and lifting the post up a little a time as it lifted the pea shingle dropped underneath and stopped it going back down, both poles lever the roof run out and back making adjustments to the front scaffold pole post, the roof runs with the push of one finger, some cross pieces of timber screwed to the Polycarbonate stop the roof over running either way with coach screws locating holes in the Obby walls so the roof cannot lift off when shut, a couple of picture always helps.....

The Old Roof, the top part slide to the back, the front part slide over the front wall and hung in place.....

DSC_9914.jpg

New Roof, 2 castor on the front 3 on the back....

DSC_1654.jpg

Scaffold pole post hiding in the hedge.....

DSC_1655.jpg

Rear view....

DSC_1657.jpg

Looks like a very simple and effective design and it has provided me with some inspiration to get on with my obsy.

Many thanks for sharing it.

When the roof is open what stops the wind from blowing it off the scaffold poles?

It won't be open when its windy i have 10" Newt with a dew shield, but i am looking at a bracket on each Castor to loop round under the scaffold pole so it can't lift off, i always wanted a Mig Welder to replace the old arc type, this could be the reason i needed......... :grin:

It won't be open when its windy i have 10" Newt with a dew shield, but i am looking at a bracket on each Castor to loop round under the scaffold pole so it can't lift off, i always wanted a Mig Welder to replace the old arc type, this could be the reason i needed......... :grin:

I gave it some thought and came up with this idea as the required items were in the workshop the 4 corner castors are sorted, the copper braid is 10amp with 8.4mm connectors soldered together.....

20150902_1210461.jpg

Archived