Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got the set up, just not the knowledge...

I have been doing this hobby since March and never had this issue with my Celestron 8SE but after getting my new Skywatcher Equinox from FLO, I've been dying to try it out for imaging, but not had the opportunity until tonight due to bad weather conditions.  

My problem is that after setting up on my azeq6 mount, I was unable to view any stars for focusing via my 5D Mark ii on af5 - f8 field flattener.  After multiple attempts, I took the camera off and set up a 25mm, then a 18mm X-Cel EP, both with no joy - still no stars.  I then focused on the moon, nice and bright tonight I knew I wouldn't have a problem finding it, but the image of the moon was very blurry, regardless of moving the focus from one end to the other.

Any advice really would be great as i'm really keen to try and capture some DSOs with my new set up but without any stars, I just cannot focus and get the images I need. :(

Here's my set up:

post-42261-0-01569400-1441063084_thumb.j

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm having difficulty understanding where your problem may lie - do you have a picture of the setup with the camera attached? There should be no issue reaching focus with just the FF and camera attached to the focuser, I have an Equinox 80 + SW field flattener + Canon 70D and it certainly reaches focus.

DSC00536_zps77ffb916.jpg

ChrisH

Have you a 50mm extension tube + T-ring/adaptor that you can replace the FF with? Or, If you have just T ring/adaptor, try through the diagonal. Would check whether it is thr FF that is causing the problem.

There is a special non reducing FF suitable for the Equinox 80, is that the one you are using? Should definitely work with that as that is what I use.

Found it http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-field-flattener.html

But I get same results without the FF

Without FF you will need either the diagonal or a 50mm long extension tube. Steppenwolf is saying you will still need an extension tube with that FF, I only know that with the Skywatcher FF I dont need one.

Steppenwolf is saying you will still need an extension tube with that FF, I only know that with the Skywatcher FF I dont need one.

You are quite right, the Sky-Watcher field flattener, in common with most others (but not the Hotech), is also a focal reducer. Using a focal reducer brings the focal plane closer to the telescope. The Hotech flattens only so an extension tube is required to make up the extension normally imparted by the diagonal.

You are quite right, the Sky-Watcher field flattener, in common with most others (but not the Hotech), is also a focal reducer. Using a focal reducer brings the focal plane closer to the telescope. The Hotech flattens only so an extension tube is required to make up the extension normally imparted by the diagonal.

Not quite right Steve, whilst most of the range of FFs for ED refractors are also .85 reducers the one I have isn't.

To quote FLO

"A high-quality, non-focal-reducing Field Flattener optimised for DSLR imaging on refractor telescopes with focal ratios around f/5.5 to f6.0. 

Will also provide much improved results on refractors with focal lengths narrowly outside this optimised f/range.

A good match for the Skywatcher Equinox-80."

So what product di you recommend I get to sort this? I'll be using the scope for astrophotography

Before buying anything I would make sure the scope is not at fault. Using an eyepiece and diagonal can you visually see through it clearly and focus correctly?

To check for photography you will need at least an 2" adaptor/Canon T Ring (these can be two pieces or a combined one) to fit into diagonal and attach camera. You should be able to focus with just that. 

If neither of those work then I would get the telescope checked out.

If that is OK you can buy a Field Flattener made for your ED scope,looks like an Equinox 80ED, if so the one I have linked above works for me with same scope. FLO have a full range if you search their website. The field flattener in the link should do away with need for both the extension and adaptor as screws directly to T-Ring. 

These were taken with SW Equinox ED80 + the linked field flattener + Canon T-Ring + Canon 600D camera on a very moon lit night.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/251595-15-minute-m13-and-m92/

daft question, but you're sure you weren't trying to focus through trees? (like the ones in your first photo).  A few times I think I've got a clear view but the scope is a bit lower than my head and the angles wrong - it's just it produces an effect that's similar to what you described.

Archived