SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

suggestion for grab an go OTA

I have picked up an Astromaster 70/f900 outfit............i like the AZ mount but not the frac................

could i have some suggestions for an OTA to use on this light weight mount please, i feel maybe a 102 mak might work okay but really open to idea`s

Long focal lengths don't sit well with light mounts or manual tracking in my view. I like to use a short FL/wide field of view on light portable mounts.

Olly

Yes, maybe an ST80 would be about right..............this was my first ever frac many years ago, might be nice to revisit this humble little scope

The other thing to consider is that assuming it is a standard mount, the current standard is to put scopes on mounts which can just about handle them for visual. Any thing heavier and it may be a struggle. I agree a small ED or achromat might be a good idea. I'd go ED if you can stretch to one. If we get together before you decide then try my 80mm triplet although it's heavier than your average ED I think.

The other thing to consider is that assuming it is a standard mount, the current standard is to put scopes on mounts which can just about handle them for visual. Any thing heavier and it may be a struggle. I agree a small ED or achromat might be a good idea. I'd go ED if you can stretch to one. If we get together before you decide then try my 80mm triplet although it's heavier than your average ED I think.

An ED80 will be too much for this mount, and more so the triplet, i wanted to get the TS70ED carbon on abs but could not justify price for grab an go

Opticstar do a couple of nice 80/90mm achros. Similar to the SW startravel range in what they offer, but the build looks a bit nicer in my opinion. The retractable dew shield makes them very portable for grab and go too.

Hi Jules,

Just a few thoughts, and me playing Devil's Advocate as usual ;)

You've just moved to a great location where you can observe from home with minimal LP? Do you need a grab and go scope currently?

I know you were looking at either a 120ED (which I still think you should go for ;)), or a 150mm Newt. Does this purchase not put you further away from those goals? I wonder whether it would be better to save the cash, get your 'scope for life' and be done with it?

As said, just a few thoughts and no offense meant mate.

If you do go for something then I would keep it light and cheap, an ST80 clone with reasonable focuser should do the trick. Lovely widefield views and will not over stress the mount.

Cheers,

Stu

Not too sure, Jules but maybe something like a I 90mm Mak or C5 for quick views and traveling would be an idea  :dontknow:  . I imagine size would be fine even for a photo tripod, views would be sharp at 125x, or so and cool down would be pretty much a non issue with those size scopes. An APO or triplet would also be really nice  :p but I'm not convinced it would be a very good idea. Sure, the scope's ergonomics, quality and wide-field views would be stunning and great for grab n go, but they aren't particularly light and in my own case, I only feel comfortable with the TV 76 on something like an AZ4. The other problem is that these small scopes run out of light quite quickly on account of their aperture, so wide fields are fine but resolving detail becomes tricky. If you're into doing a bit of serious planetary or Lunar observing, you may get frustrated with a scope less that 4".

All scopes are a compromise but I tend to agree with Stu. I'd personally set my sights on something like an ED 120 or a 6" to 10" newt/dob. It may take some time getting one of these scopes at a suitable price, but within reason, once purchased you'll know you have a scope 'for life'. 

What about putting a nice pair of binoculars on the mount instead?

Something like 20x90mm strathspey bins. Comparatively big aperture (2.5 times that of an 80mm frac) and mega widefield viewing with 3D effect. Being compact the turning motion of a longer frac is also negated. Or if you are worried about the weight you could get 20x80 celestron bins which weight next to nothing.

What about putting a nice pair of binoculars on the mount instead?

Something like 20x90mm strathspey bins. Comparatively big aperture (2.5 times that of an 80mm frac) and mega widefield viewing with 3D effect. Being compact the turning motion of a longer frac is also negated. Or if you are worried about the weight you could get 20x80 celestron bins which weight next to nothing.

That is a very good idea but................i dont get on with bins on a tripod, awkward neck angle combined with wear and tear on neck vertebra 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jules, I assume it must be this one:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7935_TS-Starscope-806-OTA---Wide-Field-Refractor-80-600mm---tube-with-optics.html

Opticstar do an interesting 80/600 with a dual speed crayford, but that is way over double the price so it will be really interesting to see how the TS works out.

Thats the one Ian, looks ideal for the little AZ mount, i wont be needing to take you up on the kind offer of loaning the 102, but i may well pop round some time and still try it

Archived