SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First binoculars &/or telescope for a 10 year old

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting a telescope and/or a pair of binoculars for my 10 year old daughter for Christmas and was hoping for some advice please. I have read some previous threads, along with a plethora of various reviews on different scopes and binoculars, but I still cannot come to a conclusion yet so I was hoping the forum may be able to offer some pearls of wisdom please!

As far as telescopes go I think I've narrowed it down to the Skywatcher Heritage 130P which gets very good reviews and while it has its drawbacks (e.g. focuser, supplied eyepieces) none are dealbreakers. Ideally the Skyliner 150P has a better focal length and would give crisper views but it is pushing the budget a bit and isn't as easy to 'grab and go' so I'd fear that initially the telescope may gather dust, not sure.

Binoculars however can be picked up and used so easily and would get used for daytime non-astro stuff too but having researched a lot I'm struggling to find a pair of binoculars that stand out. I remember using my Dad's Carl Zeiss 8x30 when I was younger and they were fantastic, both during the day and at night and were so light, had an excellent field of view and a pleasure to use so I know how much pleasure can be gained from a quality pair of bins. What binoculars would members recommend for a 10 year old (budget around £50-100) please? I'd like a pair she could hold comfortably, perhaps 8x40ish?

My gut feeling is that the telescope will have a greater 'wow' factor and we'll be able to observe a greater number of objects but then the binoculars are so versatile, portable and easy to use. Is it worth spending that bit extra and getting both?

I should say I am a physics teacher and have always been into astronomy and astrophysics. As such I'd like to pass on that enthusiasm but I have never owned a telescope so I must confess I'd get a lot of enjoyment from it too!

Any advice would be much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy BOTH!

Welcome to SGL.

Having both will complement each other. 

For the younger folk, a  nice pair of wide field  binoculars will be easy to hand hold if you keep the magnification below 10x. So anywhere between 7 -10x  will be fine. 

The telescope  most children  recognise and understand is the Refractor type, look through one end and point towards the sky. The other telescope  is the reflector. The 150P is a great  reflector starter scope (  so is the 200P which just gives so much more power! if Dad is needing one?)

I know this is for your daughter, so a pair of binoculars, Bresser from Lidl are often mentioned,  are very cheap, but just check them out first, and the 150P will be a cinch to use  once you have shown her the basics. 

I own the Helios Nature Sport Plus 8x40s and they are very easy to hold and produce a bright sharp image with an  8.3° field of view, great for taking in larger expanses of the sky. I still sometimes mount these on a tripod, just makes them so much better ( any binocular that is not image stabilised will benefit from a rock steady base)

First Light Optics,  http://www.firstlightoptics.com  this sites sponsor, supplies binoculars and scopes,  and they have a sister binocular site too.

Steve Tonkin also has a fair bit of information here http://www.binocularsky.com/

Hi Richard (+ daughter) and welcome to SGL.  :hello2:

Hi everyone,...

....My gut feeling is that the telescope will have a greater 'wow' factor and we'll be able to observe a greater number of objects but then the binoculars are so versatile, portable and easy to use. Is it worth spending that bit extra and getting both?...

...Any advice would be much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Buy BOTH!

Welcome to SGL.

Having both will complement each other. 

For the younger folk, a  nice pair of wide field  binoculars will be easy to hand hold if you keep the magnification below 10x. So anywhere between 7 -10x  will be fine. 

The telescope children understand is the Refractor type. Look through one end and point towards the sky. The telescope you need is the reflector. The 150P is a great starter scope, so is the 200P which just gives so much more power!

I know this is for your daughter, so a pair of binoculars, Bresser from Lidl are very cheap, but just check them out first, and the 150P will be a synch once you have shown her the basics. 

+1 for Charic suggestion.

Most children expect a telescope not to have mirrors. The beauty of refractors too is that when supervised they can do solar projection as an added bonus! ...and they also find it easier to keep track of the object that they are observing. Do not to worry if the view is upside down... this is normal for astronomical telescopes. I would add a 90star diagonal for ease of viewing too, (especially at the zenith), if the refractor does not include one.

I think it is right that the scope will supply the greater excitement, and it is what people think of at first for astronomy.

Which one as a first item is never easy, really a case of tracking down something that fits all requirements.

Binoculars, for the prices given I use a set of Bushnell H2O's at 8x42. Pretty good and compact.

I also have the Bushnell Nature View's at the same = 8x42's. These are better, they also cost more. I looked recently and you can get them in the UK for £98, so at the top end. I will say the new outer covering looks somewhere between awful and terriable - well it does to me. The Nature Views tend to get a good review everywhere. But some of the cosmetics are questionable. On the first set the "problem" was the joke that was the objective covers, the rest was excellent but the covers were laughable. I have the first sets with these odd covers. The covers are better now, the body covering is an odd colour.

Both sets are the roof prism variety.

Your "problem" is that a scope will be more appropriate for astronomy but the binoculars will get more use.

One phrase used previously is that binoculars are for looking around, a scope is for looking at.

I have to give +1 to the binocular suggestions. My 8 degree FOV 10x50s (vintage brand, not made any more) are much nicer to use than my Sky watcher 130. (and can be taken out much quicker as well, taking the scope in and out becomes quite a chore whereas the bins weigh about a kilo (or less) and fit in the hand).

In addition, they provide some really nice views. (being able to use 2 eyes is a real bonus)

Hello Richard,

binoculars are indeed a great start. However, when my daughter was 9 years old (quite a few years ago now), it was really only a "proper telescope", like daddy had, that would do! So I bought her a 6 inch Skywatcher Dobsonian. It was too heavy for her to carry in and out, but since I was observing with her, at least to begin with, I could carry it for her. I also showed her various objects though it and she was amazed by Jupiter's satellites, Saturn's rings, the Orion Nebula and many other objects. I would start off by finding the objects and letting her look through the telescope, until she got used to it.

We still have the telescope at home and I use it from time to time. So does she when she comes home from medical school!

Go well!

Jeremy

Got my daughter a telescope for her twelfth birthday last year and ended up going for the Skywatcher Mercury 705 refractor on an AZ3 mount. It is lightweight, quick to setup and looks like a real telescope and actually performs very well for such a small package. The mount is simple enough for her to use without assistance from me, basically lots of pluses IMO as far as reccomending a telescope for kids. A review and observation report I posted about the telescope can be found here if it is of any use: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/223257-new-scope-for-young-eyes/

I have actually used this telescope on occasion on my motorised EQ2 mount for some solar imaging and set it up during the eclipse to have a live feed for a large group of people. Its also so much easier to setup that often we will grab her telescope and leave mine inside so we can get straight down to viewing.

As far as binos go, I did have a pair a number of years ago and they do offer good views of the sky, by having both it means you will always have some sort of viewing equipment for one of you to use rather than waiting in turns at the eyepiece.

FWIW both my younger daughter and youngest (son) enjoy viewing with binoculars.  They enjoy being able to star hop and to get an idea of the many different objects in the sky.  Also, like others have stated the binoculars get used during the day and on trips.  That plus a planisphere is their enjoyment level at the moment.  The 130 is yet to be explored.

As far as binoculars are concerned, I picked up (many years ago) a pair of zeiss 10x50 dekaris, so maybe if all else fails you could check some of the second hand markets - the 'risk' of needing some attention may be a bonus!  All the best in the search.:)

Many thanks to all those members who have replied so far. I'm really grateful for the helpful advice. I've done a lot of research but still not taken the plunge yet so getting advice off people who have actual practical experience is priceless. The general consensus then is that binoculars are the way to go initially but try and get both if money allows and consider a decent refractor such as the Mercury 705.

I've had a look at the 2 pairs of binoculars mentioned: Helios Naturesport plus 8x40 £69 at FLO and Bushnell Natureview 8x42 £101 at Amazon. Both get excellent reviews and look very tempting. Separately I have also had Opticron Adventurer 8x40 £45 at FLO and Opticron Imagic TGA WP 8x42 £149 at FLO recommended to me by Stephen Tonkin at binocularsky.com. 

Obviously it isn't a fair comparison as they differ considerably in price but do any members have further comments on these binoculars?

Thanks again for all of your helpful comments.

I had some Opticron Imgagic 10x50 pencilled in for my collection, but in the end I settled for my Strathspey Marine 10x50s. The Opiticron brand has good reviews. I have no doubt the Imagic 8x42 are great, but for the money, the Nature Sport Plus 8x40s are very good. If their not good, send them back and re-order something else. I' m sure First Light will see you right.

To be honest, if I was a youngster wanting something to look at stars and planets with for Christmas and was given a pair of binoculars instead of a telescope, I'd be pretty disappointed (nowadays most of my casual viewing is done through bins). For one thing, bins will be limited to a practical magnification of about 10x, whilst telescopes will be about 200x plus. Thus, instead of seeing Jupiter as a dot with up to 4 other dots in a line (the moons), you will be seeing the banding on the surface plus the Great Red Splat in very good conditions.

The Skywatcher 130 (and 150) are both good scopes, but being reflectors you will have to collimate them regularly (plenty of youtube vids that show you how, after the fifrst time it's easy enough). Personally I'd go for a 'scope and a cheap pair of bins, that way she gets the best of both worlds :)

BritAngler?.........your too soft! Youngsters should be thankfull if they get some really good Binoculars for Christmas, be they Pentax PCFWPIIs or Opticron iMagic 10x50s or even a pair of 8x40s. Richard should be happy with those?

As for the much younger daughter, she will just be glad to see the Stars, no matter what she gets, once accustomed to the telescope?

Thank you again. I notice a few people recommending 10x50. While the extra magnification and objective diameter are helpful for astronomy, wouldn't the additional weight, smaller field of view and increased 'shake' be a problem? I have a pair of Helios Apollo 15x70 which are by far best on a tripod as the stars dance all over the place otherwise.

I had the Stellar 20x80s, same deal, needed tripod.

10x is recommended for maximum to hand hold!

To be honest, I mount my 8x40s, the view is so much better, because its steady, rock steady.

If you hand hold binoculars and your only support is the ball joints in your shoulders, then you can improve. Binocular.sky shows a couple of methods to stiffen the hold using the straps and holding the optics against the eyesockets, but you cant beat a solid support.

Seems daft, but lean, rest or mount binoculars, the view is just better, your eyes and brain does the rest.

Thank you again. I notice a few people recommending 10x50. While the extra magnification and objective diameter are helpful for astronomy, wouldn't the additional weight, smaller field of view and increased 'shake' be a problem? I have a pair of Helios Apollo 15x70 which are by far best on a tripod as the stars dance all over the place otherwise.

I get on well with my 10x50s... but that might be because they have the FOV of typical 8x42s (somehow managed somewhere between 7 and 8 degrees FOV, yet unconfirmed (but hopefully will confirm tonight with use of stellarium)) But shake is a problem for me whe trying to do things like see the moons of jupiter or try to see venus' crescent (not sure it's possible) (atrophe'd arm muscles probably) Although I have to take my glasses off to find things (short eye relief) However, basing off my 9x50 RACI, (5 degrees FOV) it shouldn't be too bad, esp since many 10x50's can have arounf 6 degrees or 6.5.

BritAngler?.........your too soft! Youngsters should be thankfull if they get some really good Binoculars for Christmas, be they Pentax PCFWPIIs or Opticron iMagic 10x50s or even a pair of 8x40s. Richard should be happy with those?

As for the much younger daughter, she will just be glad to see the Stars, no matter what she gets, once accustomed to the telescope?

Ah, but unless you leave the price tag on, all it will be is a pair of binoculars whilst a telescope is (seen as) a proper professional astronomers tool that she can bring all her friends around to show off to. And that first view of Saturn will be a definite WOW moment instead of "It's just a dot!".

I'd also recommend a copy of Turn Left at Orion (which shows things as you can expect to see them) plus a copy of Stellarium for her or your computer (it's free).

Young eyes can handle 7x50mm binos with ease so I would look for these over the 10x50mm as for the scope there is not much better than the Heritage 130P for the price but other options are available look here http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes.html.

Alan

I wouldn't recommend buying the 130 (and probably not the P, either) because it's equatorially mounted... I have that mount and it is HEAVY and a real pain to set up (to the point where I usually just bring out my bins unless I'm specifically going somewhere to observe.)

I would recommend something Alt-Az mounted instead... But bins first!

Sir Patrick Moore always advocated a pair of binoculars as a first choice, it is surprising how much can be revealed in the night sky, especially from a dark site, even better if they are tripod mounted. Children can sometimes tire very quickly and lose interest in a subject, so something in the 10x50 range such as Strathspey Marine, together with a suitable tripod, would suit you and your Daughter. Much enjoyment can be had with a dedicated binocular star atlas, such as those available as a free download,  http://www.philharrington.net/tuba.htm If the interest continues, then a telescope is the next logical step for you both, enjoy the forum :)

pipnina says dont buy the 130p? If its the Explorer on the EQ mount, then I would agree!.....your original choice the 130 Heritage is here http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

It was in fact the 130p on the EQ mount, that one you've posted to looks much more usable and portable.

If you are buying both and going of both your daughters age and the fact you may (read will) want to use the equipment. My opinion fwit is 8x40 for field of view and weight and the skywatcher mercury 705 scope http://www.365astronomy.com/Sky-Watcher-Mercury-705-AZ3-70mm-Refractor-Telescope.html?gclid=CNjMnKKR2McCFYu4GwodkjoIxQ 

Scope will go to around 140x mag and at F7.14 will give a reasonable fov that will also allow fairly easy tracking. Might give a little bit of glow on the moon but it wont ruin the view by any means. Will be a suprb all round starter.

steve

btw welcome to SGL

Archived