Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone have the 100mm Right Angle Orion Binocs?

stevecoe

Howdy all;

I am working on saving up the money for a big pair of astronomy binoculars that are 45 or 90 degree.  I have 20X80 straight through binocs and they are going to be for sale at my next astronomy club meeting.  The view is quite good, my neck is not.  I put them on my big Manfrotto tripod and in 10 minutes it feels like Ghengus Khan stuck his sword in my neck.  Please don't try and talk me into keeping what I have, that won't work.

So, what I want is a pair of binoculars that I can scan the Milky Way with and not have it be a painful experience.  The Orion 100mm pair are in my price range, but I wonder about the view using them.  So, my questions are:  are they sharp across the field of view?  What eyepieces are you using?  Are you happy with them in general?

Thank you for any input you can provide;

Steve Coe

I find my 45 deg binos work really well up to say 60 deg then l suffer from neck ache up to 90.

Thinking another way round a 90 deg bino will be great doing zenith work but what about objects close to the horizon, they will then be at a disadvantage compared to a 45 deg pair.

I suppose its horses for courses as the saying goes

I'm happy with my 45* eyepieces, especially if I'm seated - I find the major problem around the zenith is that the binos are essentially mounted altazimuthly ("zenith hole"), although the fact that it's a UA T-mount does help with that aspect of things.Have occasionally found myself observing something that is actually behind me.

Archived