Narrowband

Not clouded out... SMOKED out. :(

Ccolvin968

A beautiful observing weekend, no clouds forecasted, near perfect seeing, low humidity, and good transparency... What could have ruined that? Out in the Western U.S. there are some large fires that they can't get under control and all of the smoke has blown up into Canada, but a moderate wind has pushed down all of the higher level smoke. Turns out, smoke in the atmosphere is terrible for viewing ANYTHING in the sky. The only cool and positive thing that has come out of tonight so far is seeing a brown/red supermoon because of the amount of smoke in the air. Definitely want to get the scope on it later after it gets towards the back of my house. Don't want the neighbors to think I'm spying on them with a 10" Dob. hahaha. :p So maybe it wont be all THAT bad after all if I get the scope on the moon. Unfortunately, there is no forecast as to when this will get under control. Could be a while before I get a chance to use my brand new scope again. In the mean time, I'll be creeping around here trying to see and read what others are doing. Clear, non-smoky skies to you all. :)

Thats the spirit look, on the bright side.... a red moon... its like a lunar eclipse but not really ;-)

The other bright side it the full moon.. its so bright that viewing anything else is pointless also.

Yes indeed. The forest-fire in Washington, state is humongous. I believe the largest ever recorded. And this is bound to affect weather and sky conditions world-wide in varying degrees. It would be interesting for people in Europe - UK included - to note any changes in the colour of the sunrise and sunset currently. This is usually the first indicator people are likely to discern visually.

Washington's topography is quite strange all on it's own. The Cascade mountain range bisects the state to the west with an extremely wet climate resembling a rain-forest on the Olympic Peninsula. Then, east of the Cascades, it becomes a high, alpine desert. It's beautiful, on a personal note. I considered moving there, but the wet weather, where I'd like best, would kill me - as I found out the hard way. Alas.

FIRE!!*

Dave

* I wonder if it's unlawful to yell "FIRE!!" in a crowded internet-forum.....

Sorry to hear about smoke-stopping-play. Just out of interest (very pertinent interest given the solar eclipse in 2yrs from now) are forest fires normal for this time of year?

Martin

Not really unusual in and of themselves. But it's hardly rained this year in the Pacific Northwest. And that's very odd indeed. It's well-known as the wettest climate in the USA. As well as British Columbia on the coast. But the fire in Washington is the most severe on record. It's already killed three firefighters out there.

Bring a bucket,

Dave

Archived