SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Farewell.... 80ED :(

Uranium235

Well, its been sold and I'm sorry to see it go, but I know its gone to a good home.

Its been a smashing little telescope and has provided me with a whole stack of good images during the time ive owned it. But since the 130pds took over, its was just sitting in the corner looking sorry for itself.

So here is a selection of what it gave me... im sure there should be a soundtrack to this, but never mind eh.... I'll get over it.

15955166309_16d82d4062_c.jpg

11770716015_e3152f53d5_c.jpg

11634272346_54a6bcfaea_c.jpg

10599179754_bd2049107d_c.jpg

10465655033_3ec9d43e74_c.jpg

10598891906_2beb83bb94_c.jpg

9761996736_b8af5c8e86_c.jpg

9668988592_07c73e3a40_c.jpg

9425242262_982fb184ac_c.jpg

8237748249_220fced088_c.jpg

8504403699_5e141c87d6_c.jpg

9437168951_ed570a5fc8_c.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers :)

There will be another frac to replace it... eventually. Im seriously eyeing up the Star 71 (TS version... its a good price). But its going to be a fair while before ive got the dosh to pay for it, I'll have to start a "dad's telescope fund" and see if I can stick £100 a month into it. But before then ive got birthdays and Christmas to pay for... groan... why is it all about money! Ive half a mind to give everyone an orange and a piece of coal for xmas...lol.

It continues to be one of the scopes any beginner should consider carefully because, as we see here, it is capable of giving great results and it's both easy to use and inexpensive.

I really am a huge fan of this scope. It still takes some beating amongst the small refractors.

Olly

This is a great scope for imaging for sure - But as already said Rob really needs to get the credit for these images, not the scope :) The scope is just a tool, he has made these images what they are :)

Great threads like this can mislead people into thinking that if they buy this scope they will produce images such as these .......... sadly far from the truth. Processing skills should never be underestimated. :D

This is a great scope for imaging for sure - But as already said Rob really needs to get the credit for these images, not the scope :) The scope is just a tool, he has made these images what they are :)

Great threads like this can mislead people into thinking that if they buy this scope they will produce images such as these .......... sadly far from the truth. Processing skills should never be underestimated. :D

very true, but its also fair to say you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. I think any imager with a modicum of common sense realises that AP is down to processing skills providing the data is there to begin with.

This is in no way intended to take anything away from Rob. I've watched him do a quick process on one of my images and he made it look like childs play :D

.......I think any imager with a modicum of common sense realises that AP is down to processing skills providing the data is there to begin with.......

I'm sorry, have I offended you with my comment?

I believe that a comment such as mine is valid to make. There are many folks starting out who think that they can get a scope etc and create an image such as Robs - We've all seen it from people as they start out. Indeed when I started, I would have seen these images and not had the faintest clue that processing was so important to get this quality of image. I would have thought that once I had this scope, these images were an automatic step......

So I think that your comment is a little derogatory if you dont mind me saying...... I do have a 'modicum of common sense' and sill think that it's worth mentioning. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me

haha, No you didn't offend me.

This thread IS after all about Rob saying good by to a scope he has made good use of, not about the art of imaging so I thought (possibly wrongly) that it was a valid point. I DID say imager in the section you chose to quote (in future please post ALL of my post for contextual purposes) not someone who has never hooked up a camera and tried to make an image of it. This iswhy you would not have had a clue....you were not an imager.

I make no apology for my post. I do apologise if it has caused you offence though I can't see why it would

Anyway, lets not make this about you or me. its Robs thread after all

Sara, Scott, Steve.... very kind words indeed :)

But I do have to credit the kind folks of SGL for passing on the knowledge in the first place - Peter (in the early days), Dennis (who hasnt been on for years, but taught me high pass), Olly (a goldmine of information), Sara (for her ususual colour schemes), Rik (for the brush-in technique), not to mention other priceless nuggets from others, without their help I'd still be shouting at my gear and would have given up long ago! And im only too happy to pass that knowledge on whenever the opportunity allows.

A super group of Images Rob.

Sorry you had to let the ED80 go. Life can be a cruel mistress at times, and get in the 

way of the good things we enjoy.

I hope Chris Lock has more luck than me with the Lottery.

Perhaps tonight will be his turn, and he makes good on his promise  :smiley:

I need to win it as I promised Scott a Drone. If  relying on my  luck, he might need to make do with

a Box Brownie strapped to a Pigeon  :grin:.

Anyway, I hope one day I will manage work as good as yours here.

Perhaps the process will start when I get the tuition you offered at the next Star Party

at Lucksall next year.

Ron.

Archived