Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you help me get started Sketching?

Ccolvin968

I've been creeping around this section for a while. I'm always quiet and mostly just because I'm in awe. I'm already pretty decent at using paper and pencil. Other than that, how do you scale out your drawings? How long does one sketch take you? What are some tips or tricks you have for someone like me who is just starting out at trying this? It's a cool thought that people like Messier used to do this same exact thing to make maps of our skies, and log their discoveries as well. Thank you for the wonderful help as always. I know I can count on you guys and girls!

Sketching the Moon with photos.docx

I don't know if this will work as I'm not technically minded (main reason for sketching not imaging  :smiley: ) but I wrote an article for my astro club magazine on sketching the Moon - if it attaches and opens, I hope it's useful.  If not, I'll write up more details.  It's a great way to record what we see   :grin:

Well it works for me - but then I have the original file!  Let me know if this is helpful   :smiley:

Hello Ccolvin968,

I'm using black pencils on white paper, paint brush, blending stump.

Hard pencils H

Medium HB

Soft B

This book maybe help...DSC_0035.JPG

All my sketches are directly from my target through my scope and I never work from or with photographs.

Just start!

Marios

Archived