SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New PixInsight Tutorial for Enhancing Feature Contrast

Read herehttp://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.com/2015/08/tutorial-pixinsight-enhancing-feature.html

This tutorial covers the use of various PixInsight processes and a script in order to enhance the contrast on features in an image, including those apparently hidden behind bright areas. This covers the general ending of one's post-processing of an image. The processes covered are HDRMultiscaleTransformLocalHistogramEqualization and CurvesTransformation. The DarkStructureEnhance script is also covered.

Another good one Kayron.  This is extremely helpful since when I have tried to use HDRMultiscaleTransform in the past, I have ended up with very washed out images.  

As in so many things, the amount of processing that is applied to an image is dependent upon personal taste.  Very often in Photoshop I will apply a process to a layer then use the opacity slider to dial the effect back down to something more appropriate.  It would be great if there was some way of doing something similar in PixInsight.

Thanks again for these tutorials.  I will be returning to them many times.

Another good one Kayron.  This is extremely helpful since when I have tried to use HDRMultiscaleTransform in the past, I have ended up with very washed out images.  

As in so many things, the amount of processing that is applied to an image is dependent upon personal taste.  Very often in Photoshop I will apply a process to a layer then use the opacity slider to dial the effect back down to something more appropriate.  It would be great if there was some way of doing something similar in PixInsight.

Thanks again for these tutorials.  I will be returning to them many times.

Indeed, HDRMultiscaleTransform can be very aggressive but use of a good mask and appropriate settings for one's image can yield very, very nice results. 

I agree, much of this is personal taste. Images can quickly look over-processed if over-done. Photoshop has that advantage - layers. I personally quite like how PixInsight works with images as it treats them purely as data (numbers in a matrix). 

You are very welcome! ;)

• 3 months later...

Archived