SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New street lights been installed!!

Gasman

Hi guys

Just got home from work tonight to find our local council has replaced all the horrible yellow sodium lights in our street for downlighter LED type lights which seem much better and I would assume more efficient so full marks to City of York council :grin: :grin: :grin: Can`t notice any glow from them from my obs so well chuffed and I never even asked for them !

Steve

This is terrific news Steve. Not all designs of LED streetlights result in darker skies, but clearly York council has gone with the correct ones and is to be commended

The BAA's Commission For Dark Skies (http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/index.html ) is working with the lighting industry, amongst others, to encourage installation of night sky friendly steetlights, as well as other measures to protect the night sky. I am sure they would be pleased to hear of the York result.

Go well!

Jeremy

We need some new lights in Cambridgeshire as the orange sodium lamps are a real pain, in the winter I have 8 street lamps within 30 metres of my garden, so DSO's are invisible to me, wembley stadium has less LOL.

We need some new lights in Cambridgeshire as the orange sodium lamps are a real pain, in the winter I have 8 street lamps within 30 metres of my garden, so DSO's are invisible to me, wembley stadium has less LOL.

If you're in South Cambs I suspect they're getting to you.  I am in Over and ours were done late last year (not LED unfortunately, but vastly improved directedness (if that's a word)) and surrounding villages are being or have recently been done.

I just hope when Northstowe is built that the lighting is sympathetic....

The streetlamps in our village were changed towards the end of last year and though brighter, several along my road were removed completely. I am fortunate that from my back garden I cannot see any lamps, and after midnight it is very dark.

Great news on the lights.

There seems to be no consistent policy in Biggleswade just a mixture of older types, new really bright ones and a few roads with LED's.  Been waiting for the (searchlight) outside my house to be shielded for 2 months, they did change the bulb when I first asked not sure what they thought that was going to do :grin:

We have had them in Northampton for some time now and they have made quite a difference. After midnight every other light is also turned off.

In addition the initial install quantity resulted in a 50% reduction in the total number needed. All in all a very good result for astronomy :laugh:

I have not been a victim or heard anything to indicate an increase in crime as a result.

If you're in South Cambs I suspect they're getting to you.  I am in Over and ours were done late last year (not LED unfortunately, but vastly improved directedness (if that's a word)) and surrounding villages are being or have recently been done.

I just hope when Northstowe is built that the lighting is sympathetic....

Contacted Balfour Beatty who have the contract with Cambridgeshire County Council, they informed me that the lights had already been replaced and that no further upgrades are planned?  So I had a good look at the street lights and they are white but still not directional, the Orange Sodium Lamps are not the responsibility of the council according to BB and CCC?  No LEDs anywhere.

Apparently they are the responsibility of Huntingdon District Council, who basically said that they had no plans to change or upgrade the lights so I would have to live with it.  Not the most friendly response, I have had dealings with HDC before and they don't seem to care about anything, so, I feel the need for a tall ladder and some blackboard paint, just to block the side of the light that shines directly into my garden.

Some sodium light have been out of action recently in our village and I've made the most of it as we've had some clear skies recently.

Repair wagon and gang turned up earlier, I was devastated (not) when they told me that they couldn't repair the fault and that they'd be out of actionfor quite a while yet - yippee.

WOW, I had an amazing response from HDC on Thursday morning about my question on the Orange lamps at the bottom of my garden, They informed me that the lights in question were definitely not theirs and they had been in touch with CCC to forward my request.

Yesterday at get a call from a very nice lady at CCC who said that the lights were in fact theirs, she apologised for the confusion and said they did have plans to replace the lights in October with white lights but not LEDs and that they would install a baffle to keep the light from spilling into the garden.  I thanked her and started thinking about maybe installing a pier, about 30 minutes later I get a call from BB who asked me why I needed the baffles, I explained that I wanted to use my scopes but the light just ruined my viewing, 'OK' the guy said we can actually remove it completely if I wanted, and the other that are not too far from my garden can be modified by them to help keep the light down.  

I was a little shocked at the response considering my requests earlier, so, hats off to all three involved, Cambridge County Council, Huntingdon District Council & Balfor Beatty, I thank you very much.

Den

If you have new lights and you know you're council are doing lights off or dimming from midnight and your street lights don't then check with the council. The council will have/expected to have a Map showing on which roads dimming or completely off are to be expected. Ours it turns out should be going off but they aren't so needs a call to the electricity company.

Archived