Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would anyone like to help with this M31 image from DSS.

I have just taken this image from DSS and have applied no processing to it other than stacking.

I really struggle with M31 so would be great to see what you guys can do with it.

It is 5 x 600 secs, 2 x darks and 20 bias. No flats. I appreciate this is not a lot of data but it would be good to see what can be teased out even at this stage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiqqi89086x4gpw/M31%20DSS.TIF?dl=0

and tossed the image into photoshop. played a bit and got this... dont know if its better or not

edit, but of course after changing it to jpg and uploading it it see alott wrong with it, will toy further tomorrow

post-44600-0-50689400-1440731268_thumb.j

Looks to me the intial subs are either over exposed or you have processed the image by saving with adjustments applied.

The histogram in PI looks very ragged and way over to the right.

This is straight out of DSS. No tweaks at all.

The moon was very high and bright when I took this last night so conditions were not ideal.

I always shudder when i am asked to process an image which hasn't had flats applied as it is always so difficult to process.  

I have stretched the buggery out of this, just to see what was there.  Shame about the flats and lack of shorter subs for the core, but I think you can see if has potential.

Please oh please though learn to use flats they will make so much difference to your results and processing.

I had real difficultly in processing out coloured gradients top left, so please ignore that bit.  Meant to do an iteration of HLVG but forgot. 

d0101c2fdecfe818a9f364d9ed5680ea.1824x0_

I have just taken this image from DSS and have applied no processing to it other than stacking.

I really struggle with M31 so would be great to see what you guys can do with it.

It is 5 x 600 secs, 2 x darks and 20 bias. No flats. I appreciate this is not a lot of data but it would be good to see what can be teased out even at this stage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fiqqi89086x4gpw/M31%20DSS.TIF?dl=0

I belive i misunderstood, I thought it was being put out there for people to practice with. I have No experience with astro imaging of this caliber, even though i can not give any advise to help, i thank you for allowing me to play around and watch the dust lanes just appear!

'Please oh please though learn to use flats they will make so much difference to your results and processing.'

I know how to do flats, I just didn't.

What you have achieved with it looks good but . It was all I could get at 2.30am last night.

It looks like your gradients are coming from vignetting (or light falloff) I would suggest taking flats (if not already using them) and applying them to this image.

It's easy to deal with sky glow, it's hard to deal with vignetting.

Archived