Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC5146 Cocoon Nebula widefield

Barry-Wilson

A labour of love over the last few weeks with generally dismal overcast (and rainy) August skies (as many know).  I have combined Ha and LRGB to give a composite image using PixelMath as well as scripts.  Ideally I'd like to capture more data and longer Ha subs.  We'll see how the weather fares.

This is the first light with my new QSI683wsg-8 ccd along with its integral off-axis guiding, courtesy of that very nice Mr King.  I'm very pleased with the result, but may well revisit over the coming days as I reflect on the image.

Thanks for looking and C&C always welcome.

Barry

Details:

• Tak FSQ85EDX
  • Avalon Linear Fast Reverse
  • QSI683wsg-8, Astrodon LRGB & 5nm NB filters
  • All subs bin 1
  • Ha - 7 x 1200s
  • Lum - 18 x 600s
  • RGB - 12 x 300s each channel
  • 8.3 hours total integration
  • Captured with SGP and processed in PixInsight

Hi res image here, http://astrob.in/206440/0/

post-28392-0-78199500-1440717322_thumb.j

Very good Barry. I m looking at this on my phone in the sun so hard to see details, but I was wondering how much ha you got? It's a pretty dim signal if I remember correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you fredman, laudropb and Tom.

The dark dusty nebula is one of Barnard's catalogue, B198 and it contrasts the Ha red emissions; seems like the nebula leaving a trail.

Tom - I only captured 7 x 1200s of Ha. The moon's presence is deterring me from capturing more at the moment. I didn't set my sequence to capture 1800s subs as I was still refining my PHD2 settings with the OAG of the QSI: I wish I had now!

I also used PI's large scale structure enhance script to push the Ha background and then blended this result with my no-enhanced HaLRGB. Rick Stevenson has a great PI script which gives you a choice of blending modes, mirroring the PS modes.

Would be nice to have truly dark skies to stretch out the Lum subs too - can't have everything :) !!

Barry

A labour of love over the last few weeks with generally dismal overcast (and rainy) August skies (as many know).  I have combined Ha and LRGB to give a composite image using PixelMath as well as scripts.  Ideally I'd like to capture more data and longer Ha subs.  We'll see how the weather fares.

This is the first light with my new QSI683wsg-8 ccd along with its integral off-axis guiding, courtesy of that very nice Mr King.  I'm very pleased with the result, but may well revisit over the coming days as I reflect on the image.

Thanks for looking and C&C always welcome.

Barry

Details:

• Tak FSQ85EDX
  • Avalon Linear Fast Reverse
  • QSI683wsg-8, Astrodon LRGB & 5nm NB filters
  • All subs bin 1
  • Ha - 7 x 1200s
  • Lum - 18 x 600s
  • RGB - 12 x 300s each channel
  • 8.3 hours total integration
  • Captured with SGP and processed in PixInsight

Hi res image here, http://astrob.in/206440/0/

attachicon.gifIC5146 Cocoon Nebula_enhance.jpg

Well done, Barry. The Ha is very faint in this target. Even with about nine hours in 30 min subs I had to wring it's neck to bring out the contrasts in my version. You have found all the key structures, I think, but I reckon you'd enjoy processing it with more Ha data.

Nice tight stars here. This is always a challenge in such dense starfeilds.

Olly

Thanks everyone.

Olly - you have to admire the Baby Q and Astrodon combination for controlling the stars.

Whilst I did carry out some star reduction it was very mild. I had to pause the Ha collection with the full moon, but may visit again next week. The ccd is rotated at 90deg to frame IC5146 so it restricts capturing other targets without re-framing.

Archived