SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to?

baggywrinkle

As you can see from my tag I have been around a while. More recently I started doing sketches of the Sun with my PST and I found it absorbing and it really make me work at the observartion rather than spending hours setting up exposures for a camera. Both are challenging and I will not decry the great images I see in other sections.

So here's the stupid bit, how do you sketch in the dark? Do you have a recommended red light assembly that can be clipped to a clip board/drawing board?

I would like to progess to night work and I am inspired by the drawings I see in this section.

Sketching 400mm telescope Dob.

Holding the sketchbook in one hand

Drawing with the other hand

Holding the red light in my mouth

Standing on the ladder

No thanks!!!

Sketching... 200mm Dob grab and go.

Marios

DSC_0002.JPG

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips, I tried sketching what I was able to see last night, but unfortunately I couldn't see the paper and what resulted was something akin to what a 5 year old might produce.

Thanks for the tips, I tried sketching what I was able to see last night, but unfortunately I couldn't see the paper and what resulted was something akin to what a 5 year old might produce.

Hi there Anish ,the night you had was like my first 6/7 nights out every thing looked crazy nothing good but it was a start and things get better with practice stick at it enjoy what you get abstract or precise ,

Pat

Hi,

for Deep Sky sketching, I'm using a red light clipped on the paper. But for the lunar sketches a white light clip-on light fits better - or even some normal light from the living room window.

Clear skies

Achim

Hi,

for Deep Sky sketching, I'm using a red light clipped on the paper. But for the lunar sketches a white light clip-on light fits better - or even some normal light from the living room window.

Clear skies

Achim

Does not matter what torch on the moon your night vision will already be gone so the brighter the light the better

Archived