SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First attempt of using a DSLR attached to scope

Anthonyw85

Hi guys I have a Pentax ist D and a Tal scope. Last night I tried capturing the Moon but it was mostly cloudy.

Am i right in my set up of removing camera lense and using the eye piece in the focuser and attaching using T2 ring as only pictures I got were off splodgy light.

The eye pieces I have that fit are 7.5mm and 15mm.

Or am I missing something?

Hi

It appears you may have two methods of imaging slightly mixed into one here.

The first one and the one you refer to removing the lens from the camera is 'Prime' imaging.  Here, the actual telescope becomes the lens of the camera (easiest way to get to grips with it).  You then carry out all focusing using the focuser on the telescope.

The second is 'Projection' imaging. This is where you have the magnifying eyepiece in teh telescope as if you are viewing and you then offer the camera and it's associated lens up to that and take the image of what is being projected through the eyepiece in the telescope.

As you had it you were taking images of a projection but with no way of being able to focus them onto the camera sensor......akin to looking at the image but without glasses on (that is pretending you need glasses to see)

As you have the T2 ring, then I am guessing yo are aiming to take prime images.

All you need to do is remove the eyepiece and way you go.

You can add a barlow in there if the barlow accepts T2 rings, which will aid you in magnification, but you may have issues with being able to achieve focus...this will depend on how far your telescope focuser can travel.

As is the way with this hobby, give it a go and see what you get....if you get no where then always ask questions.  The only stupid question is the one that you did not ask.

Hope that helps

Prime all the way.

Just attach the T-adapter to the camera and then screw the other side of the t-adapter to the focuser - no eyepieces involved.

The less glass (lens etc) used the better.

I would also recommend that you attach the camera strap to the camera and then put it over the of the tube in case the camera falls off the focuser. Not likely but costly if it does. At least this way the strap which catch the camera as it drops.

Take it slow with astro imaging. It is not easy.

You will need to use the scope focuser to focus the image and you may find that you cannot reach focus. If not come back and ask again as easy solutions to it all.

Archived