SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

CG5 GT alignment questions

RobertI

I control my Celestron CG5-GT using NexRemote software connected to Stellarium. Everything works ok and the setup is a delight to use, but I have some questions:

1) When performing initial alignment I understand I have to use the buttons on the NexRemote software not the handset. Can I still use the direction buttons on the handset during alignment or do these muck up alignment too?

2) I have not used the mount extensively but i have previously done alignments using two stars plus one calibration star and the gotos were pretty good. Last night i used two alignment stars but no calibration stars and it was not so good but I was using a small chip Lodestar camera at a focal length of 1350mm so probably testing the alignment accuracy somewhat. What type of alignment would people recommend for this setup?

3) To find objects I use the Precise Goto function which slews to a bright star near the object to allow calibratation before slewing to the object. The trouble was that the object was at the Zenith and the mount had to do a meridian flip between the calibration star and the object, thereby negating the precise goto. Seems like a basic flaw. Has anyone else experienced this?

4) Finally many of the objects in the Stellarium database have very slightly different coordinates to NextRemote - i have tried changing the 'epoch' on both software but cannot get an exact match. Is this likely to cause goto problems?

For info i updated the NexRemote and handset software around 12 months ago.

Any answers appreciated.

Rob

I had anither session last night and answered some of my questions above, so shall post my findings for future reference:

2) A two star alignment with one calibration star was enough to get the object near the middle of the small Lodestar chip every time at FL of 1350mm

3) Given the above I no longer needed to use precise goto

4) I used Stellarium to control the gotos (rather than nextremote) and the object was found every time so I guess the differenc between the two is not an issue

I will try and find the answer to question 1 myself by doing a test next time out.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob

Thanks for posting the answers to your questions - this has certainly helped me as I, too,  have discovered the delights of using Stellarium to control the CG5-GT.  Having fitted an electronic focuser to the Crayford on my 6" SCT I can now control my 'scope from the comfort of my conservatory.  Sadly, lack of space and finances don't allow me to have an observatory but this setup is so much more comfortable than struggling in the dark - especially as the years pass  :smiley:

I have another question relating to the alignment process but will start a new thread for this.

Clear Skies

Archived