Narrowband

Wowza!

BGazing

Now this was one of the most rewarding nights for an amateur astronomer. My kid demanded that we go to a nearby park and watch the Moon. Doable, as the Moon was three and a half days old and could defy LP. His friends were there. I set up the rig, did not even bother to align it (it was too light)....

A line of kids formed (initially there were like 6 of them, then a full dozen that just kept coming...and the Wows! and Aaahs! LIterally every single one of the parents saw the Moon through the scope for the first time and were absolutely awed. One kid asked if 'the image is for real or some digital picture'....

What a night! And all of the kids admitted that this was way way better than anything on telly and asked when will I come to the park again.

:)

Haha, Dave...really made me laugh.

Will see whether I can set it up for my kid's class one night when the school starts. It is so rewarding to see the joy on the faces of the kids...

And the curiosity...the questions...this and that. By the way, girls are more patient, and they listen to the instructions better. :)

Your post brought a smile to my face. I love doing simple outreach (although seldom have the chance). Not only is it great when people get excited by their first view through a proper instrument, but also the enthusiasm is spontaneous and infectious... the best kind.

Thanks for posting!

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived