Narrowband

TEC 140 'First Light' Weekend....

TakMan

Hi Damian,

Superb report that got me drooling from the off. If anyone had a slight inkling into this fabulous passion of ours, reading your report, together with it's fine illustrations, would have them well and truly smitten.

Steve

A absolutely superb piece of work and that's only the first light? I look forward to reading more on a scope I rather fancy myself.

I do not hold you view on the Vario finder, I don't like mine one bit, never worth the money. I would also like to know where the filter wheel is available.

BTW are you going to change your name to Tecman?

Alan.

A truly convincing review and one with which I agree, having had one of these for several years.

While the TEC is expensive and is, clearly, a premium Apo, it is still a bit of a bargain (in the admittedly mad world of refractor prices.)

I'd find it incredibly hard to part with mine. With the huge flattener it's a fine imaging scope and it's always a treat at the EP.

Again, excellent review with great integrity.

Olly

That is a wonderful read!

I have never had an eyepiece on mine as it is used exclusively for imaging. It sits at Olly's Les Granges so an eyepiece would be an impossible solution anyway ;) I find it a wonderful imaging scope even though it is on the slow side. In contrast to Macs, it actually "just works". I have the TEC Large Focuser, which I find absolutely superb. It has no bearings and is a simple draw-tube perfect fit solution - like an old glass syringe. Love it!

/per

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A truly convincing review and one with which I agree, having had one of these for several years.

While the TEC is expensive and is, clearly, a premium Apo, it is still a bit of a bargain (in the admittedly mad world of refractor prices.)

I'd find it incredibly hard to part with mine. With the huge flattener it's a fine imaging scope and it's always a treat at the EP.

Again, excellent review with great integrity.

Olly

Just to add to this Olly, I spoke to Yuri the other day - the founder and owner of TEC (top bloke btw) - and he says the FF140 Field Flattener is only required if the CCD chip diagonal is larger than 18-20mm.  So users of 460EX like me will be fine.

Now,  A small matter of getting together the £5300 to get a TEC 140 imported.  And also a MESU200!!!!  Where's my Euromillions ticket........?  To part fund I'd be flogging some of my other stuff to make a tiny dent in that bill!

Archived