Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using an iPad for flats?

I had my first attempt at taking flats this weekend. I used a torch app on my iPad with the brightness turned down. It wasn't exact as I had to hover the iPad over the front off the scope, touching the screen turned the app off!

I think it worked, as it's by far my best my image.

post-38411-0-71142700-1440019249_thumb.j

Does anyone else use this for flats? Is it ok hovering it over the scope, with inevitable small movement. Is there a flat app?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi. Go to Settings->accessibility and turn guided access on. Then, when your app is on tripple click the home button for options. You can then lock the screen for example so touching it wont do anything to your app. Its simply going to be disabled. It helps me a lot when I am taking flats(also using Ipad) Also make sure (somewhere in settings) your screen doesnt change brightness when you are taking flats. Ipad forks pretty good for me( regarding flats).

Hope it helps

Marcin

I used my TV which has internet. just search Youtube for a white HD Test screen and put the scope a few inches from the screen works well 

Jason :smiley:

pardon the ignorant question, but shouldn't flats be taken at the same temperature as the lights? same as with darks?

Great idea. Why haven't I thought of this before? I was just about to build a flats panel from a project in The Sky at Night mag,but will try this first. Thanks.

Funnily enough, in this months TSAN mag, there is letter from someone saying they use an App to do this and they get a response that although it will work, the brightness may not be uniform on a tablet/laptop screen.

I just built myself an A3 sized EL Panel.  Was a nice short little DIY project.  Got a cheap plastic photo frame off amazon (with plastic front instead of glass) then put a couple of sheets of tracing paper in front of the EL Panel. Popped the frame back on and taped the control box to the back of the frame.

The EL panel is about 90% of the cost of the whole project.  Runs of 12v, and is big enough for a 10" scope.  I'm going to glue a couple of pieces of something to the frame edge, so that I can hook it onto my dew shield and be able to operate the camera hands free.

Big..great idea.  Would try but only have 7" tablet here to use

At present am using an LED ceiling panel light to illuminate my flats, but to get the size to fit my scope have had to get a very bright one and the only way I can get it useable is to wrap it in a pillow case, which can be problematic when it comes to shooting.  Was wanting to go down the EL panel route myself..........

I just built myself an A3 sized EL Panel.  Was a nice short little DIY project.  Got a cheap plastic photo frame off amazon (with plastic front instead of glass) then put a couple of sheets of tracing paper in front of the EL Panel. Popped the frame back on and taped the control box to the back of the frame.

The EL panel is about 90% of the cost of the whole project.  Runs of 12v, and is big enough for a 10" scope.  I'm going to glue a couple of pieces of something to the frame edge, so that I can hook it onto my dew shield and be able to operate the camera hands free.

CJ, do you have a list of parts you used and suppliers too?  Can then get to making one myself and see how that turns out.

ok, here's the details

From this site, I selected the A3 panel and the A3 portable Driver cost £95

http://elwirecraft.co.uk/el-products/el-panel-categories/white-el-panel-in-many-sizes-a6-a5-a4-a3-a2-and-a1/

That part is about 90% of the cost.

This is the frame that I used

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004PYD9QE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

A couple of sheets of Tracing paper to act as a defusser (can add more sheets to dim as required)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003DOG81U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

A little bit of electrical tape and you are golden.

Instead of using the AA battery pack, I've made a cable that plugs into a Car socket.

And I'm thinking glueing on a couple of blocks so that I can hang the frame over my dew shield for hands free use.

From this site, I selected the A3 panel and the A3 portable Driver cost £95

http://elwirecraft.co.uk/el-products/el-panel-categories/white-el-panel-in-many-sizes-a6-a5-a4-a3-a2-and-a1/

A little bit of electrical tape and you are golden.

Instead of using the AA battery pack, I've made a cable that plugs into a Car socket.

I'm sorry about the question, but being a total newbie in DIY in this area, by electrical tape what do you mean? the american "duct tape"?

Do you use it to fix everything in place, or does it have any special function (the "electrical" throws me off.... :grin: )

Have you tried it using the AA batteries? I'm guessing they don't last a lot...

Electrical tape is also known as PVC tape and is used by to insulate electrical contacts.  It is stretchy and much thinner than duct tape.  Self amalgamating tape is also great for this type of thing as it sticks to itself and grips tightly but doesn't use any glue so it lasts longer when left outside.

Yellow wall sounds a bit odd but since some people shoot flats pointing at the twilight sky it can't be too bad for it.  I guess the important thing is to ensure you have sufficient saturation in each channel.

I'm sorry about the question, but being a total newbie in DIY in this area, by electrical tape what do you mean? the american "duct tape"?

Do you use it to fix everything in place, or does it have any special function (the "electrical" throws me off.... :grin: )

Have you tried it using the AA batteries? I'm guessing they don't last a lot...

This is what I mean by electical tape.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pvc-insulation-tape-10-pack-n61aq

I'm just using it to stick the wires down.  The control box, I stuck on with some foam backed double sided tape.

As for the AA batteries, I have no intention of ever using that.  I'm sure it'll work, but the battery life is going to suck - the controller was specifying a 1.5A supply, so that means that aa's would last about an hour of use.  Seems like a huge expence when I have a 70Ah rechargable battery at my disposal :)

70 Ah?? I only have 18....

But then, when taking flats I can already switch off the rest...

I don't recall seeing a 12v cigarette lighter plug among the accessories for the power supply of the panel?

Archived