SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polaris and Albireo

HI all,

checking the webcam settings I imaged the polaris and Albireo. Colors are shifted to red since there is no IR filter on the webcam. Sensor is fully HD.

Single frame for Albireo and Polaris. Polaris processed with Gimp. The webcam seems less sensitive than the eye, looking at the Polaris.

post-44476-0-13981600-1439711508.png

post-44476-0-54988000-1439711519_thumb.j

I just walked in from viewing Albireo. Finished re-tooling my ST80, and decided Albireo would be the 'first-light' for the critter. Used a Vixen 8 - 24mm zoom EP, and split it easily at 50X. Beautiful gold & turquoise pinpoints of light midway between Vega and Altair.

Many are unaware that Albireo is not a true double-star system - it's a visual-double. The brighter, gold one being 388.5 light-years away, while the turquoise is 399.7 LY. Not that this truly matters for all intents & purposes - it is one of the most beautiful sights going, and in range for even a diminutive telescope like the ST80.

I'd have bagged Polaris too, but a maple tree has grown like a giant weed in our super-fertile soil we enjoy in the Champlain Valley - effectively hiding a-Ursa Minor. Working on a way to top the thing without killing it off outright. We need every tree to gobble-up CO2 with.

Thanks for posting your image! Keep up the nice work,

Dave

Thanks guys :) I am also impressed by Albireo. I ignored the fact that are not a real double. This make even more interesting the sight. It is like to give a dimention to the sky. Seing things in perspective.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I've read conflicting information about Albireo being a true double. The "gold" star itself is a double star system, but difficult to detect. Some sources say that the distances the "gold" and "blue" stars are from us have enough uncertainty to actually be a true double, but still no one is absolutely sure. Even parallax data is not accurate enough to give definite results. But, it's a beautiful pair nonetheless  :smiley:

Archived