SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ADM MAX Guider

I use one with an FSQ85 on top and it does the job well. It is part of a side-by-side system. I haven't ever put anything heavier on the max so can't comment on its full capacity but it easily holds this weight. On each occasion I take a quick image to make sure it is aligned with the other scope and that's it. Adjustment is very straight forwards. I can't remember the degrees of adjustment alt and az, but I have never yet found an issue with spread in, eg, a mosaic. Being adm it is pretty solid. I was lucky and got mine second hand.

You might also be interested in http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236388-new-jtd-guidescope-saddle-incoming/ but no time frame as yet.

Hi

I have ADM Mini guider which is similar but a bit smaller. It's ok but not fantastic.

I bought it thinking it would be a step up from the Skywatcher guide unit but it's not. I have to say that in my view the Skywatcher unit is better. I have made some minor mods to my Skywatcher unit and I'm very happy with it. I use it in preference to the ADM unit.

The ADM unit feels robust and looks well made but actually it seems to have play in it even when locked down. The tolerances on some of the machined parts seem a bit poor (particularly on the up/down) so it can move a bit even when locked. The origin of the slack seems to come from steel pivot pins that fit into some drilled aluminium supports. The slack is counteracted with some big springs which effectively push to remove any slack if that makes sense.

I suspect I'm being very picky about this as the springs that push everything together (and remove any play) are quite powerful so I suspect in reality it won't move at all but the engineer in me doesn't like the fact that even when locked it can still move.

I did buy an early / ex-demo from FLO at a reduced price so maybe the later units have improved a bit on QC. Serves me right for trying to save a few quid I guess. I think I will do a little design mod to remove the slack at some point.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did respond via PM but my own experience of the Max Guider HD, shown holding an FSQ106 (which is what I put on mine) was that it was a Zebedee pile of nonsense which went boing-boing. One of the worst products I have ever met in astronomy - and there are some bad ones! I believe FLO set out to source something better. I use a Cassady T GAD, bought second hand for the price of a good imaging refractor. Ouch. But it does work perfectly. (It's a bit cruel that 'working perfectly' means setting it up, aligning the scopes, and forgetting it's there. For 600 euros. Second hand. Aaaarrgghhh!)

The ADM affair used springs, and what do springs do? They go boing-boing.

Zebedee.

i think i will have to mount a defence of the Max  :grin: . I am no ADM fanboy, it is my job to question things and that is exactly what i do.

I have no argument that the Mini isn't any cop at all when it comes to all bar the lightest of scopes. I tried one for a few months and I can't say I was impressed, one spring, and yes, it did go boing so that got cleared out fairly quickly. However the OP question was about the Max.

The Max is a lot more robust imo but I am sure a Cassidy would blow it out the water; if you can find one!. The Max has three weight bearing springs which on mine are tight. Once the desired position is achieved, the alt top and bottom lock nut system easily holds the bar and therefore the scope in place. I like the spring system as there is a degree of tension on the bar prior to locking it in place. Az alignment is achieved by the use of two opposing bolts. I find this a tad clumsy and can take a few goes to get right. 

Like I said, I haven't gone above the weight of an FSQ85, but on this at least it is solid. I always recheck the positioning, but this takes all of 10 seconds and is done on a bright star when I am checking focus. A crosshair on the sub shows any deviation from dead centre with the other scope (aligning for a mosaic needs checking when on target) and I can say that i have only ever re-positioned once which after an extended period when I was away on work.

When I originally had my dual bar, there was a deviation between the two saddles. I had a very good local engineer drill and tap the saddles so they were as near parallel as possible but even this wasn't exact hence i have gone down this road. Maybe FLO will produce an all singing all dancing guider, but for now I have to say, I am more than happy with the Max.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived