Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera or Astro CCD?

I am using a Canon Rebel SL1 and the results are quite good (using BYE).  I was wondering if changing to a dedicated CCD would be an improvement.  Any thoughts on what I would need to spend to get better results than the Canon?  I would like to get better deep sky images.

Scope is Orion ED80T Apo

Geoff

Changing to a CCD Mono camera will give greater detail than a DSLR.  Changing to a OSC CCD will give you similar detail to the DSLR but be less noisy.

For a mono camera you are going to need filters and a filter wheel and depending on the size camera, you can spend anything from £1345 for example an Atik414 with FW and LRGB filters.  To £2149 for the larger format (similar size to a DSLR camera) Atik383L FW and complete set of filters.

You can get the cameras cheaper 2nd hand, and if you are lucky sometimes the FW and filters as well, so you can cut the cost by about 1/3

HTH

Sorry it's not in dollars.

Carole

CCD is far more effective and, if you go for monochrome and filters, more flexible. You can shoot Ha on moonlit nights. I maintain that mono is also faster because luminance consists of all colours at once, something you can't capture with 'one shot colour' cameras. (In 'one shotcolour' you only capture a quarter of a chip in blue, a quarter of a chip in red and half a chip in green.)

I also think it is easier to create a good picture with CCD. Much easier.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere that the ZWO ASI224MC Color CMOS Camera is a popular choice right now.  I too am wondering which way to go (camera or CCD.)  I am getting serious about imaging also and before I start buying a lot of equipment, I thought I would mention the ZWO camera (above.)  Has anybody used this camera and what advice can you offer newbie aspiring astrophotography guys like me?

Archived