SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cnscope secondaries on aliexpress

Hi I am looking for a seconday mirror to match a 10.5" primary I have - putting together a newtonian.

Currently I have a 35mm secondary that I bought extremely cheaply off fleabay to get it up and running which works OK but isn't ideal size-wise.

So I found a 60mm secondary for £32 on aliexpress - seems almost too cheap to be true - anyone else tried these and how did they perform? THe seller is Cnscope.

Cheers,

- Adam

Do you know what size of secondary that you need?

What is the focal length of the mirror or the f number ?

For the one given it is either US or Chinese and there could or will be shipping and then duty and VAT to pay, it is generally reckoned to add on 30% above what you pay for the HMRC payment.

Galvoptics do a 56mm at £56, the next is 63mm at £75.

http://www.galvoptics.fsnet.co.uk/telescope6.htm

The 60mm secondary on the link seems to be $50 and either $13 or $24 shipping, assuming the higher that is $74 so £50. The Post Office WILL collect duty+VAT and they will apply an administration charge to charge you the duty and VAT.

So say 30% (HMRC) that is £15 and I guess £12 admin.

So I would guess a total of around £75 to £77 by the time you have finished.

There is also Oldham Optical but I cannot see eliptical flats as a seperate item, you would need to email them to get a price:

http://www.oldhamoptical.com/

It's a 60.5" focal length, f6. 60mm might be a little large maybe?

The $50 quote includes shipping actually, and I've found that chinese imports  that scrape under or around the VAT threshold get in with no duty or VAT to pay. They usually seem to apply the gift threshold these days in my experience.

I've been buying a lot off  fleabay from China and HK and haven't had a charge for years.

Nevertheless this would attract 20% VAT only, no duty, and the handling fee is £8 not £12. So worst case is £46. 

• 1 month later...

Funnily enough when it arrived I noticed they had put it down with a value of $0.001 and for some strange reason the postie didn't ask for any money...

Ho hum.

The packing could have been better but it got here absolutely mint.

Archived