SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seben Zoom 8mm-24mm

badhex

Hi all

Thinking of getting this EP along with an F6ish APO, probably the Evostar 80ED.

Can anyone advise about the performance of this EP in a fast scope, maybe even specifically this scope or other APOs?

This is a stopgap really to cover medium low to medium high powers until get back my full EP collection (I would also likely get a BCO 6mm and the Evostar comes with a 28mm EP as standard.)

I've seen one review on Amazon mention that it worked pretty well in an F5 but didn't go into much detail about the scope, I've also read a thread or two on here about the EP in general. Just looking for further opinions and advice about this combination of scope/EP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00663XV8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438603018&sr=8-1&keywords=Seben+8-24

TIA

I have three of these, they come under different branding including Celestron, the bolt cases are all the same.

I use one exclusively for solar observation operating at F10 with excellent results. I would say however that F6 is probably the lower limit, avoid the cheaper 7.5mm-22.5mm version.   :smiley:

Thanks Peter. It's an interim purchase anyway, but may work well In my F12.75 Skymax102 in the future from what you have said. What are the effects in faster scopes? CA or other optical aberrations, presumably?

I have read elsewhere the 7.5mm one is not as good (questionable QA iirc), so I won't be tempted with it for the sake of saving a few quid.

@Merlin do you mean you have the 7.5mm+ or the 8mm+?

I have a MEADE zoom that has a bigger eye-lens than the little zoom, but the latter gives me a bit more magnification with the PST.

I purchased a cheap 60mm spotting 'scope from ALDI and soon discarded it, except for its zoom eyepiece that goes down to 6mm.

I sometimes use this zoom on the other ( stage 1 modded ) PST. It gets me that bit closer to the proms on good seeing days and can show a surprising amount of detail.

This zoom is actually very good, came out of the same factory as the Celestron and others in this zoom range.As above avoid the 7.5 - 22.5mm one which Seben probably had some influence on as it is very poor.

I have the Vixen-branded model. They are all the same. I use mine commonly in my ST80 F/5 scope - branded Sky-Watcher - and it works great. Both for solar observation, and anything else out there that lures me when using the little beast. I find it much more convenient than lugging a pocketful of other EP's in my collection for grab-and-go applications.

Go ahead & buy,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived