Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED doublet or Skywatcher Esprit Pro 80 ED triplet ?

Hi,

I wondered if you all could advice,

I'm intending to purchase a refractor that I'l be coupling with the Daystar Quark filter to do some solar observing/imaging. I also intend to use the scope for night time observing. Therefore idea is for it to serve two purposes...

I've decided that I'll go in for a 80mm ED, and had set my sights on Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED doublet.

But then started wondering would it be worth investing in the Skywatcher Esprit Pro 80 ED triplet?

Any words of wisdom...?

One thing to be mindful of is that at that aperture and FL, you will not be getting a full solar disk with the Quark (unless some kind of monster x0.5 reducer works). If you know already, then cool.

I have the ED80 and think it is a lovely scope, not sure how much advantage the Esprit would give for visual use only.

For solar with the Quark the doublet should have no problems, CA is not applicable in the narrow banding you are dealing with.

For visual, well you might get some CA, depends heavily on the object, Moon might, suppose a few of the nice bright stars could also.

Then it comes down to you - some people think "So what?" others scream and yell "What's that!"

As in general as we do not go observing a star specifically then the less intense objects exhibit no resultant CA, they are just too dim for wahtever there is to register in your eye.

Usually for visual the ED80 is reported as good to excellent.

The Esprit is f5, 400mm if I remember correctly, so you will get full disk views with the Quark. If you can afford one, I'm sure it will give lovely views both day and night.

Shaun (pig) has one and is very happy with it with the Quark, I'm sure he'll be along soon :)

I've just chosen an ED80 myself.  If you're interested in a triplet but want to keep the costs down, then seriously consider the Explore Scientific ED80 Triplet.  Users seem to be very happy and ES have worked hard at keeping the price down and the Quality Control up.   The bare bones Alu Essential version without flight case  is really cheap for a triplet (just below £500 new): 

http://telescopes.toptenreviews.com/beginner-astrophotography-telescopes/explore-scientific-80mm-ed-apo-triplet-refractor-review.html

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/telescopes/80mm-90mm-refractors/explore-scientific-ed80-triplet-r2111

http://www.amazon.com/Explore-Scientific-ED80-Essential-ES-ED0806-01/dp/B00KI0C1C2

I'm very lucky as I've just managed to pick up the standard version with the heavier focusser, bigger dew shield, flight case and di-electric diagonal second hand for just under £400.

Thanks you for your advice, I decided to go in for the Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED Pro.

And..I placed the order on Tuesday and it got delivered today....FLO are very efficient. I wish I could give them a gold star.

Archived