SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mount for SW 120 ED ?

NGC 1502

Hi all. I have a friend who's thinking of getting a SW 120 ED refractor or similar - maybe up to 130 mm - and is looking for advice on a suitable mount.

The scope will be for visual use, he'd like go-to if poss. If he could use the tripod from his Meade 8" LX90 that would be good.

As I've never owned a refractor that large, I'm asking on his behalf.

Many thanks in advance for mount suggestions or general comments, Ed.

I have a 120 ED and have used it on both my EQ5 and HEQ5.  For stability and a certain amount of future-proofing I would recommend the HEQ5.  Even for visual you will need to add the weight of a finder and maybe some quite hefty eyepieces.  The EQ5 is merely adequate for this and the HEQ5 really is the practical minimum.

Hi Ed,

They are both big refractors. My mount of choice is the Skytee ii, this is a an alt az manual mount,  but there are some rumblings of discontent on the forums with issues that have not raised them selves on my particular setup. So another is the Giro Ercole mount., As far as using the tripod from the meade, I really do no know if it would be poss. My Old LX 200 did have the screw fitting in the middle but I do not think it would take such a mount.

As far as goto I am sure it would be poss on an Celelestron VX which has a 30lb payload or CGEM would cope.

My ED120 rides on a Giro II mount on a hardwood tripod. I use a 2kg counterweight on the other side of the mount to keep the motions smooth.

As far as EQ mounts go, I think a CG5 would cope OK for visual use, as it's 2" steel tripod makes it pretty sturdy.

The LX90 is a fork mount isn't it ?. Not sure that would be suitable for the ED120. The tripod might be if it can be attached to another mount head and the legs extended.

My EQ3-2 mount has AZ-4's steel tripot, it works for me for high power visual, though might be close to the limit. C8 weighs 0.5 kg more than 120ED, but C8 feels a touch more stable on my mount than 120ED.

To my knowledge, 120ED is the most light-weighted ED doublet(around 5.2kg OTA), all other 120-130 ED doublets weigh about 2-3 kg more, so a AVX and HEQ-5 should be a safer bet if your friend gets the mount first.

I have a 120 ED and have used it on both my EQ5 and HEQ5.  For stability and a certain amount of future-proofing I would recommend the HEQ5.  Even for visual you will need to add the weight of a finder and maybe some quite hefty eyepieces.  The EQ5 is merely adequate for this and the HEQ5 really is the practical minimum.

Thanks Roger, that might well have put me of getting a 120ED later in the year  :grin:  i have wondered if my EQ5 would struggle with a 120

Thanks Roger, that might well have put me of getting a 120ED later in the year  :grin:  i have wondered if my EQ5 would struggle with a 120

I dont think it needs a HEQ5 Jules. I use to run a 6" F/8 on a CG5 (EQ5 with 2" steel tripod) and it was decent enough for visual observing. The ED120 is nowhere near as demanding IMHO.

@John, the op mentioned the tripod from the lx90 not the forks. Often wondered about the LX tripod I had as it was very substantial, with a std hole in the middle and a decent indent that might take another mount. Mind you the bloomin scope & forks of the 10" weighed 70lb.

@John, the op mentioned the tripod from the lx90 not the forks. Often wondered about the LX tripod I had as it was very substantial, with a std hole in the middle and a decent indent that might take another mount. Mind you the bloomin scope & forks of the 10" weighed 70lb.

Good point Damian. The tripod should be re-useable with another mount head. I'd guess that it is similar to an EQ6 - ie: 2" steel tubed ?

I dont think it needs a HEQ5 Jules. I use to run a 6" F/8 on a CG5 (EQ5 with 2" steel tripod) and it was decent enough for visual observing. The ED120 is nowhere near as demanding IMHO.

Cheers John,

Im using CG5/EQ5 combo, but my new location is rather windy and i am fussy about scopes being mounted sturdy............will have to give this some thought

Archived