Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ethos is warping my focuser

I have a OOUK with standard focusers. But when I insert my Powermate & Ethos into the focuser tube it 'sags' and obviously throws out the collomation.

Do I need a better / more sturdy focuser? If so any recommendations?

Thanks

Chris

Is it the ACU focuser that you have? I have the exact same scope and I have no issues with my Paracorr + Ethos 21mm which is really heavy.

But I did take out the focuser and tune it to make sure it doesn't sag.

Hi Chris. I have an early model OO UK Dob. On my focuser there are two very tiny and hard to see allen head grub screws, they are either side of the much larger tension screw. Adjusting those two screws removes the slack that would allow the focuser draw tube to sag when using heavy eyepieces.

Of course you may have a different focuser, but worth checking if there are any adjustment screws.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

My current OO 12" dob has a simple but sturdy chinese single speed crayford that handles the Ethos + Powermate combo pretty well.

My old OO 10" F/4.8 had the OO OC-1 crayford however which I was not impressed with. I could not seem to find a way to adjust the tension so it would hold a heavy load without being rather stiff in focussing action :embarrassed:

If your scope has an OO focuser maybe a call / e.mail to OO will elicit some tips on how to get the best out of it ?

Archived