Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trying to identify/remember an astronomy book..

cathalferris

I used to have an astronomy book in my early teens that I got great use of, but for the life of me I cannot remember the title, and I want to find it again.

It would have been published in the late 80's. It was a hardback, fairly large in size - a bit bigger than Norton's and about twice as thick. At least two and possible three authors - I think the moon maps were Antonin Rukl, and I think Storm Dunlop was involved as well.

The first portion of the book dealt with the solar system, with drawn maps of the Moon by quadrant, and lots of information about the planets and moons.

The second portion of the book was a constellation by constellation guide. What was notable was that most of the illustrations were airbrushed artwork instead of images, and I seem to remember the star maps were white stars on blue.

I think my parents gave away my copy of it in my later teens, and I'm trying to find the title so I can locate another copy. I know it's a shot in the dark, but does this description ring any bells for people here? My searches so far have not turned up anything that looks close.

It's not the "Atlas of the Night Sky" - I already own a copy of that and it's not what I'm thinking of.

I may also be wrong on the authors which would explain why I have trouble searching.

Colins Atlas of the Night Sky comes up on Amazon as Storm Dunlop and Antonin Rukl.

Well it is the first one and so far only one I have come across.

Amazon

Not sure as it appears to be one that has a date of 2005.

easier to suggest you go to Amazon, Books and enter "Storm Dunlop" as the/an author, 3 pages of results appears. You get the feeling he started off in astronomy then decided to write on weather instead. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Familiar but not for the right reasons!

I had read that particular book as well.

The book I'm thinking of, for the deep sky section, all of the object pictures were artwork instead of photos.

Thanks to all so far for the assistance!

Archived