Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

200p horizontal movement

Hi all,

Just started using my new skywatcher 200p and I'm having problems with moving it horizontally. It very jerky,I have to tap it with my palm of my hand to get it to move,once its moving it's ok. I have checked the teflon plates and washer are ok and loosened the centre bolt but still it's jerky. Very hard to use on dso. Any ideas.

Just sounds like its a little too tight on the centre bolt, but you say that its ok. Just double check all spacers and washers are in their correct  place.

It may get smoother over time, but I have not experienced any 'stick-tion'  or jerkiness on  my system, as far as I can remember.

Some folk will recommend a 'Lazy-Susan' as an optional upgrade. Its a bearing system that sits between the two base plates. I'm not sure how free-running  that system is, but anything less than level ground  may cause the scope to tilt to its lowest position under its own weight?

A wipe with WD40 over the Teflon pads wouldn't hurt, but don't get to slippery else the wind / sea breeze will spin the scope?  :grin:

Thanks for the reply Charic, I have check the washer and plates several time and lubricated them.I have changed the bolt tightness sevetal times as well but nothing changes. Bit disappointed with its movement, takes the shine off a otherwise good scope.

I think the Teflon pads are stapled into place, you  would hear the noise and see any scratches formed, but its something else to check that the pins are fully recessed ?

Only other thing I would do is full strip down and rebuild of the base plates, although you seem to have that covered. It should get loose with time, the more you use it, the quicker it should smooth itself out. 

Its either too tight, something sticking, or   just not accustomed to the freedom of movement that it has from new, yet you say it gets smoother after a good shove? 

keep looking?

Archived