SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to find the Bayer Pattern for a Nikon DSLR

Nikonshooter

I have a modded D800e and a D810a both Nikons.   Does anyone know what bayer pattern to use in Deep Sky Stacker.   Neither of these cameras are listed in DSS. I talked with the company that modded the 800e and they said Nikon was not forthcoming in their release of this info and that they didn't know.   I can use the trial and error method but would much rather get incite from those of you who have already paid the price and figured it out. 

Hi,

If you read the entry where the Bayer pattern is it says, " Monochrome 16 bit FITS files are RAW files created by a DSLR or colour CCD camera ". Just don't tick the box. 

I've got a Nikon D7000. If I use DSS then I can enter anything I like in that section. Just to make doubly sure, I've just done two stacks with some old subs. One I entered a Canon 1D camera and a Minolta for the second. Makes no difference.

Have you tried using DSS yet ?

On my version of DSS I think the last Nikon camera entered appeared in 2006 or thereabouts. Look up the Canon 1D series and it runs out in 2004 !

Dave.

If it turns out your cameras needs the information then I apologise. It's just that I've never saved a DSLR file as FITS and I don't know anyone that has. ( Bound to be someone ! )

RGGB, yes, but isn't the problem simply knowing which colour lies on which pixel? There aren't many permutations so I just used trial and error on a recognizeable image.

Olly

In my experience RGGB specifically means the first row of pixels is red-green-red-green-red-green... and the second row is green-blue-green-blue-green-blue...

That is, "RGGB" refers to the block of 2x2 pixels in the top left of the image, read left to right and then top to bottom.

James

A quick google suggests that the EXIF data in an image may well give you the actual CFA pattern.  It looks like it isn't the same for all Nikon cameras (probably not a surprise given that different cameras use different sensors), but the D800 does indeed appear to be RGGB.

James

Archived